"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 11-14-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Tiramisu Piemontese

This is a special recipe of Cristiano's. The best Tiramisu I ever had!!

Ingredients:
  • 700g/ 1,5 lb mascarpone
  • 6 very fresh (essential!!) eggs (5 if eggs are particularly large)
  • 100g / 3,5 oz sugar
  • half cup of Marsala wine
  • 1 cup (circa, more if needed) freshly brewed coffee (not too strong, slightly diluted) or little more as needed.
  • 600g / 1 lb + 5oz Savoiardi or lady fingers
  • pure cocoa powder unsweetened
  • sweetened cocoa powder
Instruction:
  1. Separate eggs. Beat together yolks, sugar, wine and mascarpone until the mixture attains a smooth creamy texture.
  2. Whip the eggwhite vigorously until it becomes solid. (do this patiently with "high energy", if it is not solid enough the end result will be soggy and soupy!)
  3. Carefully fold in the whipped eggwhite into the mascarpone/york mixture, blend them well and evenly.
  4. Mix 2 teaspoonful of sugar into the coffee, then pour in a container large enough to dip savoiardi/lady fingers comfortably. dip each pieces of biscuits into the coffee quickly, (wet the entire surface for a moment but not until it gets soggy all the way through) lay them neatly in one layer at the bottom of a large square/rectangular baking dish (or 2 medium).
  5. pour half of the cream (mascarpone/egg mixture) evenly over the savoiardi, then sprinkle the sweetened cocoa powder to cover the surface.
  6. lay another layer of savoiardi on top, repeat with the cream, then top it off with unsweetened pure cocoa powder.
  7. Chill it in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
Interesting note:
"Tiramisu" means "Pick me up" in Italian (Tira mi su). I was curious about the origin of this name, and when I asked Cristiano about it, he told me this rich cake full of calories (thus it would give you lots of energy) was served traditionally as a final dessert at weddings (the Italian weddings rival to those of Greeks, they keep on eating and eating all day and night!!). This was done to assure the newly weds' very "energetic" and passionate honeymoon following the big feast!!

Old 11-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Tiramisu is one of my favorites.
Thanks to Cris for sharing his recipe with us.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

oohh! yummy! grazie!
Old 11-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
Everymom

Oooooooooooooo! That looks extra good. I thought you soaked the ladyfingers in Frangelico though? Or some coffee flavoured liqueur I don't know about?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #5
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
wowie zowwiiiie! That looks yum! Cool history of the name, too! Definitely have to try this one out!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:41 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Oooooooooooooo! That looks extra good. I thought you soaked the ladyfingers in Frangelico though? Or some coffee flavoured liqueur I don't know about?
Cris always used just coffee for soaking the lady fingers. I know there are many variations so I looked around several credible italian cooking sites. Some mixed marsala wine into coffee instead of the cream, one site said to use "liquor of your choice" in the coffee but in this case marsala wine was not used in the cream. I am sure the other versions can be also good, the one thing to avoid I believe is to use another liquor on top of the marsala in the cream. Marsala wine has a particular flavour and you wouldn't want it to clash with some other alcoholic beverage...
Old 11-15-2005, 12:18 PM   #7
Everymom

Thanks licia, I am so glad to have you here to answer my questions. I am on a baking spree today so if I get myself out to the store I may pick up the ingredients to try this soon.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:39 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to Eliza
Well, I've got some friends over this weekend and am going to turn my hand at trying out this wonderful recipe...wish me luck!!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:14 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Good Luck Eliza!! If you need some help or advice, pm or email me!! I hope you guys will enjoy it!!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:43 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to Eliza
Thks urmaniac13, I tried it this morning and cldn't believe how easy it was!!! Ofcourse, instead of Masala wine - which is really expensive and fairly hard to find in Spore, i used brandy instead and guess what - it turned out wonderfully! My husband cldn't resist dipping his fingers into the cream mixture and i hope my friends will love it tonite!

Thks so much for the easy and wonderful recipe....you can bet your bottom dollar i'll be making more of this!

There was even enough cream left for me to make a small loaf which i gave to my neighour!!!

Simply can't thank you enough urmaniac13!!!!!!!

Tags
None