TNT Albanian Walnut Cake recipe for csalt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boufa06

Executive Chef
ALBANIAN WALNUT CAKE WITH LEMON GLAZE

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup yoghurt (not strained)
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup walnuts - lightly toasted and chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsps grated lemon rind

Lemon Glaze:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup lemon juice

Method:
1. In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Then add eggs one by one.
2. Mix yoghurt with buttermilk.
3. Add sifted dry ingredients to the egg mixture, alternating with the yoghurt mixture. Stir in lemon and walnuts.
4. Transfer to a greased 9x13-in pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C/350 degrees F for about 40 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare glaze by combining all ingredients in a saucepan. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until the syrup is of a relatively thick consistency.
6. Pour the glaze over the cake and leave it in the warm oven (already turned off) for a few minutes before cutting into squares.

I am not csalt the intended, but this recipe really inspires me and makes my mouth water... I think I have all the ingredients (except for buttermilk, I don't think they sell it here so I have to come up with an alternative here...), I maybe I will give it a try this weekend!! Thanks for the idea boufa!:)

You can substitute a mixture of vinegar and milk for the buttermilk. Can't remember the ratio, though. I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you.

thanks lynda for the tip, I will try by adding vinegar just a little at a time to see the effect!!

Urmaniac,
for one cup of buttermilk, use 1 Tablespoon of either fresh lemon juice or vinegar plus enough sweet milk to make 1 cup of buttermilk..Let stand 5 min. then proceed:LOL: I'm thinking this is going to be dessert either tonight of for sunday family day...

kadesma got it correct!

It looks like 1 t. vinegar or lemon juice in milk to make 1/3 cup buttermilk. But looking at the recipe, I bet you could sub 2/3 cup yogurt for the 1/3 cup buttermilk and 1/3 cup yogurt. You just need the acid in the yogurt/buttermilk to get leavening action with the baking powder and baking soda.

Thanks for posting the recipe. Since I do not keep citrus rinds, I will sub some lemon oil for the rind.

Grazie CJ and Beth!! It is good to know buttermilk can be so easily substituted!!:) Now I am on to have a go at this cake...:-p

lyndalou said:
You can substitute a mixture of vinegar and milk for the buttermilk. Can't remember the ratio, though. I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you.

the recipe looks really nice,i'm def gonna try it soon.we dont have buttermilk here as well.but i know the substitute.you can mix 1 tbs vinegar with enough milk to equal 1 cup, or 2/3 cup of plain yogurt with 1/3 cup of milk.its substitute for 1 cup buttermilk.hope this helps.

You are all welcome, folks! It is the first time that I baked this cake and it turned out well enough for me to share the recipe with you.

Bethzaring is right. You can replace it with the same amount of plain yoghurt in case you do not have buttermilk handy or do not wish to make your own.

Boufa, I made it and it came out wonderful!! :-p
Actually I used a little different covering, as I was in the mood for richer creamier icing, I mixed

150g robiola (or I am sure mascarpone would be wonderful, too, or some other spreadable cream cheese could be used)
finely ground zest of one lemon
enough powdered sugar to make about 1 cup + of icing

came out a wonderfully creamy and lemony icing...

We enjoyed it very much also our dinner guest!!
Thanks for the wonderful idea, it will be added to our regular repartoire, and next time I will try the original glaze, too!!:)

boufa06...Thanks for this Cake Recipe. I will be making soon. Sounds yummy.

urmaniac13 said:
Boufa, I made it and it came out wonderful!! :-p
Actually I used a little different covering, as I was in the mood for richer creamier icing, I mixed

150g robiola (or I am sure mascarpone would be wonderful, too, or some other spreadable cream cheese could be used)
finely ground zest of one lemon
enough powdered sugar to make about 1 cup + of icing

came out a wonderfully creamy and lemony icing...

We enjoyed it very much also our dinner guest!!
Thanks for the wonderful idea, it will be added to our regular repartoire, and next time I will try the original glaze, too!!:)
Urmaniac, I am very glad that the cake turned out wonderfully! It was indeed a great idea to experiment with the creamy topping, just like the one for carrot cake. So now you have two variations of the cake. Fantastic!! I will definitely try it the next time round. Of course, I will have to hide it from my DH to help him with his diet program!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom