"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 07-18-2005, 06:02 AM   #1
Sous Chef

TNT Angelfood Cake?

Does anyone have an EASY TNT angelfood cake recipe? My brother-in-law has been doing a lot for mom and I lately and this is his favorite cake and I want to show him that we appreciate what he has been doing. Not everybody has a wonderful brother-in-law like I do. :)

Also very important question. Can you bake an angelfood cake in a bunt pan?

Old 07-18-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Everymom

IcyMist, I better whisper this so come close...(Buy an angel food cake mix! MUCH less effort and usually better results!)

Old 07-18-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
Master Chef

I've never tried it in a bundt pan, but I have done them in 9x5 loaf pans. It makes a nice cake that you can slice and serve with fruit topping.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Head Chef

Alix is so very right!! PA Baker is too. I have tried making angelfood in a bunt pan and it didn't turn out as well. Go for the loaf pans!!
Old 07-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Thanks everybody, will do. :) You guys are awesome!!!!! Would much rather go with a mix if it turns out good than following a recipe. As for what will go with it, am planning on a mixture of raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and a splat of whipped cream. How does that sound?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM   #6
Master Chef

Sounds wonderful!
Old 07-18-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
Head Chef

Ooh, my mom used to make an angel food cake and then slice it into three equal layers. Then she'd let some sherbert ice cream get a tad bit soft and use in in between the layers. Pop it back into the freezer and slice as needed.

Z
Old 07-18-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Oh great Zereh, now I have to make another decision. ARGGG Not sure if bil likes sherbert though so will probably go with the berries. May use not quite so many and was thinking of simmering berries where there would be a sauce. Any ideas there? Not sure how to do that without ruining berries. Maybe cook one berry (blueberries??) down to make the sauce?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Cook

I always go for the boxed angelfood cake mix; just add water! I make it in my silicone sponge cake mold which is 3 quarts. It still rises over the dish a bit, so I would think with a bundt pan you may have some overflow problems. I have served it with strawberries and raspberries and whipped cream. I've never cooked them down, just washed and sliced the strawberries a few hours ahead and gently stirred in some sugar (early or late season berries sometimes are a little tart!). Have done the same with raspberries minus the slicing, then just stuck them in the fridge until ready to serve.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:11 PM   #10
Master Chef

I'm with lhanson. If you mix your berry blend with some sugar and allow them to macerate for a few hours, you won't have the need to cook them down at all.

Tags
None