TNT Apricot & Almond Cake
With apricots in season, this is a good time to share this delicious cake recipe with you. I have lost count of the numerous times I baked this cake for relatives and friends. So here goes:
APRICOT & ALMOND CAKE
8oz/225gm butter - softened
6oz/175gm self-raising flour - sifted
2 tbsp milk
4oz/115gm ground almonds
5 tbsp fine breadcrumbs
1 lb/450gm fresh apricots - stoned and halved
Almond essence (optional)
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly on a 9-inch round cake pan that has been greased and lined with greaseproof paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one by one before folding in sifted flour along with milk, ground almonds and a few drops of almond essence if using it.
3. Transfer half of the mixture into the cake pan, decorate the top with half of the apricots, spoon over the remaining mixture and finishing with the remaining apricots.
4. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F/180 degrees C for about 1 hour or until done.
5. Remove lining paper and sprinkle cake with icing sugar.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!