TNT- Hot Milk Sponge Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
I made this Tuesday night & it was amazing! Not only was it easy, but it came out wonderfully light & fluffy. I served it with a mixture of blueberries & strawberries & topped each piece with whipped cream.

2 eggs, at room temp
1C all-purpose flour
1tsp. baking powder
1C sugar
1/2C milk
2Tbsp butter

Combine flour & bakining powder in a small bowl & set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs with a electric mixer for 4 minutes on high speed, or until they are thick. Slowly add sugar & beat on medium for 4-5 minutes or until light & fluffy. Add flour mixture & beat on low to medium speed just until combined.

Heat & stir milk & butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted. Add to batter & beat until combined.

Pour batter into a greased 9x9x2-inch square pan. Bake in a pre-heated 350F oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack.

Crewsk,
I adore sponge cake and this one looks easy enough for me to try. Thanks so much, I now have dessert for tomorrow:)

kadesma

Crewsk, did you use whole milk? I'm wondering if I can get away with skim without too much of a change since it's all I ever have in the house.

Looks like a great recipe. Thanks!

sounds like it's a very easy sponge, and the size isn't too big too! i just made a sponge cake yesterday and it was very tasty too, only it needed 8 egg yolks which seems too much egg to waste (wasn't in the mood to make meringue out of them so had to chuck out the whole lot). i'll try this recipe next, and compare. thanks!

Crewsk, just pulled the cake from the oven about half hour ago, I tasted a small piece, it's fantastic..Have strawberries or blackberries plus whippped cream for the top for the kids and DH, that is if any is left:LOL:

kadesma

crewsk said:
PA, I did use whole milk, but I don't think skim would hurt.

Kadesma, I'm glad you liked it!:)
Crewsk, Pa, I used 2% milk in the recipe and it was great. The cake was gone the next day. DH even had a slice for breakfast ...

kadesma:)

A good way to start the day. I could eat cake for breakfast every day if it wasn't a problem for me.

licia said:
A good way to start the day. I could eat cake for breakfast every day if it wasn't a problem for me.
Me to licia,
and this cake was especially good. Just right for coffee or tea in the morning.

kadesma:)

Tried the Sponge Cake last night just as described and it is lovely. My younger daughter had ice cream and hot fudge sauce over hers!

arlienb said:
sounds like it's a very easy sponge, and the size isn't too big too! i just made a sponge cake yesterday and it was very tasty too, only it needed 8 egg yolks which seems too much egg to waste (wasn't in the mood to make meringue out of them so had to chuck out the whole lot). i'll try this recipe next, and compare. thanks!

I don't know what someone more knowledgable about food safety than I would say, but I freeze egg whites when I'm not in the mood to use them. I would like to be good enough to say I did something healthy like use them for healthy scrambled eggs but most often they go towards souffles. Last winter I was baking a lot and we were having souffle three times a week!:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom