"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
TNT:Kodafa: couscous Cheesecake from the Middle East

I just made this this afternoon... Something I really wanted to try ever since I found the recipe in one of the recent additions to our cookbook collection... I have to wait until Cris comes home tonight to taste it but from the look of it, very nice... I will let you guys know how it tastes later on, if it is bad I will get rid of the thread!!

Kodafa

(maybe I overdid with the syrup...)

Ingredients:

200g (7oz) Couscous
2 eggs
120g (4,5 oz) butter, melted
Pinch of salt

180g (6oz+) FRESH mozzarella, chopped
250g (8,5oz) ricotta
40g (1,5 oz) honey
1 tsp Cinnamon
A few drops of vanilla essence

For the syrup
180ml (6oz+) honey
100ml water
1 small package or 1 pinch of ground saffran
1tsp orange flower water (alternative, rose water)

30-40g (1,5oz circa) roughly crushed pistacchi for garnish
  • prepare the couscous following the direction. (for quick cooking ones, immerse in about 300ml of boiling water, cover and let it stand for at least 5 minutes, for this cake, a bit more)
  • Flake the cous cous well to get rid of big lumps.
  • In a good sized bowl, beat together the eggs and the melted butter, then mix in the couscous, blend together well.
  • In anoter large bowl, beat together the chopped mozzarella, ricotta, 40g of honey, cinnamon and vanilla, until the mixture become smooth and thickly creamy.
  • In a buttered cake pan (about 27cm/10-11inch) lay down the half of the couscous mixture evenly. Then cover with the cheese mixture, then top with the rest of the couscous, spreading it out evenly.
  • Bake it in a preheated oven at 190C/375F for 20minutes. Let it cool.
  • In a small saucepan, mix the honey, saffran and water, let it boil for 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and mix in the orange flower water.
  • Let the syrup cool slightly, then pour evenly over the cake. Garnish the top with pistacchi.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Goodness, that both looks and sounds amazing, Licia. I tend to think that it will veer towards tasting awesome. What a lovely and creative recipe, thank-you for sharing and posting your yummy picture

(I love the idea of mozza and rose water in the same dish, both are favs but I can't recall ever combining them together in the same recipe before!)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Sounds absolutely delicious! I do even want to know how many calories or barbs are in it! One bite may add 10#s!!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Awww, I ended up giving in... I couldn't wait until Cris's coming home I had to try a little piece, it was calling my name real loud...
It is DELICIOUSSSS!!!!!!!

One possible improvement I can think of is to lightly toast the pistacchi to make it even more aromatic. But hey, no complaints... I am patting myself on the back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swann
I do even want to know how many calories or barbs are in it! One bite may add 10#s!!!!
Ohhh, when you are eating something this good, you are not supposed to give such a thing a thought!!
Old 06-15-2006, 01:14 AM   #5
Sous Chef

That sounds and look AMAZING! Great job, I wish you could send me a peice! When I first took a look at it I thought it was a savory cheesecake (I've only heared of such things, never tasted) but judging by the recipe thats a dessert. Isn't Saffran one of the most expensive herbs in the world or something?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Brain
I first took a look at it I thought it was a savory cheesecake (I've only heared of such things, never tasted) but judging by the recipe thats a dessert. Isn't Saffran one of the most expensive herbs in the world or something?
Yes, indeed it is a sweet treat, sweetened mostly with honey tinged with the aroma of orange flour, it is simply gorgeous. The syrup is nicely mingled into the couscous today, the day after and it is even better!! (after all, I did NOT overdo with the syrup...)
I would have never thought of using couscous for sweet dessert like this until I saw this recipe, but it is indeed a great, unique idea. I am so pleased!!

Saffran is indeed an expensive spice, but just a tiny pinch goes a long way. However if they are not readily available, I would think this recipe can be done without and acheive good enough result.

Tags
None