TNT Lemon Angel Food Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
This cake is a little more dense than straight Angel Food, the use of Meyer lemons let's you cut the sugar in half.

Lemon Angel Food Cake

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 cup cake flour

2 tsp lemon zest

1 1/4 cups egg whites (~ 9)

1/4 cup Lemon Juice

1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

Oven rack on lowest position. Pre-heat oven to 375ºF.

Sift together powdered sugar and flour, lightly stir in lemon zest, set aside. Beat egg whites, lemon juice and cream of tartar in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until foamy. Beat in granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high speed, adding salt with the last of the sugar. Beat until a stiff peaks and glossy meringue forms.

Fold in sugar-flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. Push batter into ungreased 10x4" angel food pan. Gently cut through batter with a metal spatula.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until top springs back when touched lightly. Turn pan upside down onto glass bottle. Let hang until cake is completely cool. Loosen side of cake with long, metal spatula; remove from pan.

Thanks! Like it because it tastes fresh and Shrek and I can eat some and not blow our sugar/carb allotment for the day in one fell swoop!

I probably couldn't see very well when you posted this. I love lemon and I love angel food cake. It's great for all of is and the kids you too I see. PF Thank you.
ma

Back
Top Bottom