Torting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
I am splitting 2 9 inch layer cakes. I have 4 layers....how or what way is the best way as far as placing the layers tog on the plate go? Usually for a 2 layer I place top down on plate then 2 nd layer top up. But with the layers cut ,what is the best way to do that. Would it be the same as if I didn't cut it?

Since the top of the cake is usually a bit domed, you should slice off the domed part so that you when you split the cake you have two flat slices of equal size.

I usually make sure that the top slice is bottom up because it is less crumby

Since the top of the cake is usually a bit domed, you should slice off the domed part so that you when you split the cake you have two flat slices of equal size.

I usually make sure that the top slice is bottom up because it is less crumby

Yup.

Ok, top up less crumbly. But if I cut two nine inch pans in half I will have two tops and two bottoms. Are u telling me to place all cut sides down when assembling all four layers

I'm saying that you should slice off the domed part from both cakes so that you have 4 uniform slices. Use an uncut side (bottom) for your top layer.

So I would use One uncut side a bottom for the top layer and also a bottom for the bottom layer? Would the bottom one be cut side down? Then of course the two middles would be the ones that you cut the dome off. And that would leave these with both sides that have crumbs?

Last edited:
Use the "bottoms" because there is less crumbs. Use one, as Jennyema said, for the top. You can use the other for any of the other three layers.

Use the other bottom for other three layers. So it doesn't matter how the other three layers go as far as stacking the layers. Would it be right to put the other bottom first then the other two that I trimmed the dome off of on the bottom one? If so do I put the crumb side up on the bottom one? Sorry... Never done this before. All my other cakes I never split so didn't have to worry about crumbs. And they come out ok so really never had to level them either.

Put one bottom on the bottom, cut side up.

Use the two trimmed tops for the middle two layers. It doesn't matter which side is up.

Use the second bottom for the top, cut side down.

Put one on the bottom, cut side up.Use the two trimmed tops for the middle two layers. It doesn't matter which side is up.

Use the second bottom for the top, cut side down.

Andy I would put the two cut sides facing down. It makes placing the frosting on that layer a lot easier. No crumbs from cut side making a mess of the frosting.

She should try to place all the cut sides down if possible. And each exposed cut side will need a crumb layer of frosting letting them partially air dry before placing the next layer on. :angel:

Addie, don't confuse mumu.:ermm: Andy's suggestion will work. You don't need to worry about crumbs/no crumbs until the top layer. That is the one you want as crumb-free as possible so that you avoid mixing those crumbs into the icing that you see. And don't forget that two of those four layers will have both sides cut. The upper half the each layer is having it's top cut off to level it, plus there is the middle cut to divide that layer into two.

Addie, don't confuse mumu.:ermm: Andy's suggestion will work. You don't need to worry about crumbs/no crumbs until the top layer. That is the one you want as crumb-free as possible so that you avoid mixing those crumbs into the icing that you see. And don't forget that two of those four layers will have both sides cut. The upper half the each layer is having it's top cut off to level it, plus there is the middle cut to divide that layer into two.

I see what you mean. I am no good with math. I took four pieces of paper and marked each on whether it was a cut side of bottom. Got myself totally confused. I am no good when it comes to anything mathematical. I am a visual person. I would have to have the four layers in front of me with the tops cut off to grasp the whole idea.

Last week I was given a test with numbers. The person gave me four numbers and asked me to repeat them backwards. The numbers left my mind the second she said them. I flunked that test. :angel:

Back in the day when I used to make tortes, I went out and bought additional pans so I didn't have to cut them...that way, I had the number of layers I wanted and could just cut off the bump on the top. I like to use a cake lifter to move the layers.

Back in the day when I used to make tortes, I went out and bought additional pans so I didn't have to cut them...that way, I had the number of layers I wanted and could just cut off the bump on the top. I like to use a cake lifter to move the layers.

Either that if you only have two pans, then fill the pans only 1/4 and make two at a time. I have four pans also in two different sizes and shapes. 9" and 8" square. :angel:

Either that if you only have two pans, then fill the pans only 1/4 and make two at a time. I have four pans also in two different sizes and shapes. 9" and 8" square. :angel:

Using four pans or half filling two larger pans to eliminate cutting the cakes in half results in more waste as you now have four mounded tops to trim off instead of just two. Granted, you get to eat the trimmings but the finished cake won't be as tall.

Back
Top Bottom