Two Ingredient Cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for checking that out, Shelly.
And good point, BC. Fat and sugar content could really throw it off. I'm not sure I follow you on the air though. Won't you lose the air when the ice cream is melted?

ETA: I see what you mean now. One pint ice cream as in one container. I was thinking the melted volume of one pint.

Correct, melting down Ben and Jerry's pint will yield more volume than say a store brand or Breyer's or Edy's of the same size.

Maybe that's it, BC. Maybe the common occurrence of unsweetened chocolates and cocoas had me thinking you cannot use "regular" chocolate unless it was going in a chocolate chip cookie, or staying whole.
On one of her programmes on FN Ina Garten said that chocolate chips contain stabilisers that stops them melting properly so you can use them in choc chip muffins and cookies but bar chocolate is what you need for melting. I don't find this to be the case with the choc chips we have but they could be different from yours.

Last edited:
I made cupcakes in a mug in the microwave once. I made cake mix waffles (cookie sized ). So I 'd probably try this once too, I think Cake comes in a Pan and you Follow certain rituals not mentioned in the recipe. You get to lick the beaters, then the spatula while the cake bakes. Then wash the Bowl then make Frosting. Then you ask your guests ( and sometimes I am my own guest in my own house) --do you want a big piece or a little piece. Cupcakes, seem more about Portion Control than Hospitality. I guess you could always offer 2nds along with another cuppa.
I'm so glad it's not just me!

I would imagine that it would greatly depend on the ice cream that you use.

National name brands contain as much air as ice cream base, so that could really throw off a recipe. I imagine that premium ice cream with much less air and a higher fat content would be best for this recipe.

I can see the results varying wildly with different commercial ice creams, then if people are using "light" ice cream that would also alter the results greatly.
Absolutely, the quality of the ice cream would matter.

I actually think the non-premium ice creams might be what's intended in this recipe. How many people buy premium ice cream?

I would think if you used chocolate ice cream in this recipe it would yield a rather weak chocolate cupcake, unless of course you found some really intense chocolate ice cream. I would probably go for ice cream with chocolate in it rather than just chocolate ice cream. Then at least the bits would have a fully chocolaty flavor. I like my chocolate cake to be pretty rich though.

All this mention of Ben n Jerry's now has me thinking about Phish Food cupcakes.

Just because I mentioned it as an example, I don't recall the logic now, I don't think I would sacrifice Ben and Jerry's for a cupcake experiment. Just hand me a spoon.

On the other hand I was wishing for a little sweet treat immediately after dinner. But now, I'm ok and just as satisfied I didn't have anything on hand.

You definitely have to use full fat ice cream. There are a lot of recipes out there and a lot of mixed reviews. Here is an interesting website using ice cream and self- rising flour to make a quick sweet bread.

Ice Cream Bread

Can you? I thought you needed special chocolates to bake with. Chocolates that aren't palatable by themselves unless mixed with sugar and such. But then I don't bake. Not sure where I picked up that misinformation...
Thanks

But the recipe was only for vanilla, right? They didn't say you could substitute other ice creams?

It sounds like you're talking about either cocoa, or unsweetened Baker's chocolate.

Cocoa comes in a powder and you need to add sugar and some sort of fat (usually butter) to it.

Baker's chocolate used to come in small squares that were wrapped in wax paper. It has the fat, but little or no sugar.

Both are unsweetened for a number of reasons (reduce spoilage, minimize bugs, allow one product that could be used in many recipes, etc), not the least of which was to keep it safe from human pilfering. A child only has to bite into a square of Baker's chocolate once to learn it is NOT tasty in that form.

These days everyone bakes with artisan chocolate from cocoa beans grown on at least three different continents and blended by Amazonian wood-sprites, and those are definitely palatable out of the package. Somewhere along the line people decides chocolate was like wine (you shouldn't cook with anything of a quality you wouldn't want to eat). But, you can find the old unsweetened Baker's chocolate if you look for it :D.

Baker's brand baking chocolate doesn't contain soy lecithin. Almost all other chocolate does. For some people, like me, this matters.

All winter I have not felt like cooking or baking. So unlike me. But my doldrums seem to be flying away. I have a SIL that loves sweets. So he doesn't know it yet, but he is going to be gaining weight. And maybe my daughter also. Then there is the Pirate to feed and Spike has never been known to pass up something good to eat. :angel:

Baker's brand baking chocolate doesn't contain soy lecithin. Almost all other chocolate does. For some people, like me, this matters.

I have always bought Baker's. I started only because it is made in Boston. And a lot cheaper than other brands. :angel:

It was on my friend's list of safe ones for people with peanut and tree nut allergies too, if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

ShellyCooks asked:

Has anyone tried making these two ingredient cupcakes?

The questions and answers on this thread have been quite informative

But I'm still wondering----- has any member here actually made one of the two ingredient cupcakes? And eaten one? And what did they think about them?

And --- no, I haven't yet made one. Probably won't until I hear from someone who has reported back on them. ;) That may between between the next few minutes or until **** freezes over. :LOL:

I'm not planning on making them any time soon. I just posted this as a matter of cooking interest.

Give it a try and let us all know.

Back
Top Bottom