Two Ingredient Cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never used "self rising" flour. This is the recipe I have on file to make some. Usually if I see a recipe that wants this, I find another one like it using standard ingredients.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder

I could see making this, although not any time soon. I try not to have desserts or sweet things hanging around the house ( who am I kidding, and when has a dessert lasted long enough to reach hang-out- in- the- kitchen stage):angel:

Interesting concept. Although I don't bake, even if I did, I couldn't sacrifice perfectly good ice cream for the experiment. Guess I'm not alone.

I'm not much of a baker, either. My beloved ice cream trumps cupcakes. :yum: But it is an interesting idea. I bet my daughter would try it - I'll pass this on to her. :)

Someone grabbed ice cream and ended up with a flavor we weren't crazy about (Ben and Jerry's Almond something, iirc) so rather than toss it we mixed it with a cake mix and baked it in a bundt pan.

If you're into cake-mix cakes, it was fine. It wasn't a flop by any means but it's not something I would say I was crazy about nor has it been made again.

If you think about it ice cream has everything you'd add to a cake -- sugar + fat + eggs -- minus the flour, of course.

Last edited:
I did it! I halved the recipe and had to make self-rising flour since I don't have any. My recipe was:

1 c Kirkland Signature Super Premium Vanilla Ice Cream, softened (not fully to liquid, but softer than soft serve)
1 c AP flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to melt it all the way, so I just used the "soften: ice cream" option on my microwave. The resulting batter was too thick to pour but soft enough to spoon in. I only had mini cupcake papers, so I used a mini tin.

The end product was tasty, but not what I would call a cupcake. The texture and flavor were somewhere between a biscuit and a muffin. The outside was rough and crusty like a biscuit, the inside was soft, like some biscuits I've had, but really more like a muffin. It was also rather sweet for a biscuit, but not as sweet as a cupcake. Since they weren't very cupcake-y, I didn't bother frosting them (I was going to just use Nutella) and instead enjoyed a couple with strawberry freezer jam.

The KS Vanilla isn't a terribly sweet ice cream and it's much denser than the mainstream supermarket brands. Like others have said, I'm sure results vary drastically fron brand to brand. Also, I think the salt measurement in the recipe for self-rising flour was a little high and I probably should have made the flour and then measured out a cup. I don't think the extra 2 tsp of dry ingredients made a huge difference, but with this small of a batch, who knows. I also wonder if the texture might have been slightly different if I had melted the ice cream completely, especially since mini cupcakes cook so quickly.

Anyway, the "miscuits," as DH named them are tasty and I'm sure the sproutlets won't object to munching them tomorrow, but I think I'll skip the flour and just top the ice cream with Nutella next time.

Thank you Sprout for being both the first to experiment and to report back to us.
+1

Sounds like I won't be trying these cupcakes anytime soon, unless someone else has a totally different result.

Way to take one for the team, Sprout.
It sounds like they would be OK in an emergency or if you were missing some of the ingredients in regular cup cakes, but not as good as the real thing. Not that anyone expected them to be.

Back
Top Bottom