Two Ingredient Cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I came across this today. I can't say it was a revelation as I had heard about this concept before. But it is fascinating.

One pint of vanilla ice cream
2 cups of self-rising flour

Combine until smooth and bake in a cupcake tin @ 425ºF.

I haven't tried this but it makes sense - flour, leavening, dairy, eggs, sugar, vanilla.

Do you see any reason chocolate ice cream wouldn't work? Does baking with chocolate require baking chocolate?

Can you? I thought you needed special chocolates to bake with. Chocolates that aren't palatable by themselves unless mixed with sugar and such. But then I don't bake. Not sure where I picked up that misinformation...
Thanks

But the recipe was only for vanilla, right? They didn't say you could substitute other ice creams?

Can you? I thought you needed special chocolates to bake with. Chocolates that aren't palatable by themselves unless mixed with sugar and such. But then I don't bake. Not sure where I picked up that misinformation...
Thanks

But the recipe was only for vanilla, right? They didn't say you could substitute other ice creams?

I saw no reference to other flavors. The base ingredients in chocolate and vanilla ice creams would be the same.

This is something it might be fun to try. I don't know that the outcome would be as good as a 'real' cupcake recipe. There is no guarantee that the proportions of the ingredients in the ice cream are optimal for really good cupcakes

Lots of different chocolates can be used for cooking. Unsweetened melted chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder are most common, but I have recipes that call for semi-sweet.

Maybe that's it, BC. Maybe the common occurrence of unsweetened chocolates and cocoas had me thinking you cannot use "regular" chocolate unless it was going in a chocolate chip cookie, or staying whole.

I hope Pac or anyone else knows baking chocolate is un-sweetened and chocolate bars are edible. I s'pose every kid finds this out the hard way when exploring in the pantry.

I'm putting beans in my ears on this one. I frequently have ice cream on hand and it's a snap to make quick rising flour. Further, should an emergency arise, Ben and Jerry's is readily available at the all night market/ gas station and conveniently comes in Pints.

I hope Pac or anyone else knows baking chocolate is un-sweetened and chocolate bars are edible. I s'pose every kid finds this out the hard way when exploring in the pantry.

I'm putting beans in my ears on this one. I frequently have ice cream on hand and it's a snap to make quick rising flour. Further, should an emergency arise, Ben and Jerry's is readily available at the all night market/ gas station and conveniently comes in Pints.
If it were my emergency, the Ben & Jerry's ice cream would suffice.

I made cupcakes in a mug in the microwave once. I made cake mix waffles (cookie sized ). So I 'd probably try this once too, I think Cake comes in a Pan and you Follow certain rituals not mentioned in the recipe. You get to lick the beaters, then the spatula while the cake bakes. Then wash the Bowl then make Frosting. Then you ask your guests ( and sometimes I am my own guest in my own house) --do you want a big piece or a little piece. Cupcakes, seem more about Portion Control than Hospitality. I guess you could always offer 2nds along with another cuppa.

Sure I know. that's why my line of questioning if this recipe would work with chocolate ice cream rather than typically used unsweetened chocolate... seeing as how it's cake-like I wasn't sure. Thanks for the heads up.

And take those ear plugs out! Everyone can use some quick, all ingredients on hand cupcakes! :LOL: I'm thinking pistachio cupcakes :yum:

Has anyone tried making these two ingredient cupcakes? I'm waiting for a candid review of taste, texture, and appearance. Needless to say, I'm a little skeptical.

Did a little research and found several recipes on line for two ingredient cupcakes. You may use any flavor of ice cream, add extras like nuts, berries, dried fruit, chocolate chips, etc. Any kind of frosting also works. The average rating was three stars out of five -- seems several people thought the texture was more like a muffin or scone than a cupcake.

I have made Irish beer bread (self-rising flour and beer) as well as cake/cupcakes using cake mix and soda. Both are good, but I still prefer the traditional recipes.

I would imagine that it would greatly depend on the ice cream that you use.

National name brands contain as much air as ice cream base, so that could really throw off a recipe. I imagine that premium ice cream with much less air and a higher fat content would be best for this recipe.

I can see the results varying wildly with different commercial ice creams, then if people are using "light" ice cream that would also alter the results greatly.

I would imagine that it would greatly depend on the ice cream that you use.

National name brands contain as much air as ice cream base, so that could really throw off a recipe. I imagine that premium ice cream with much less air and a higher fat content would be best for this recipe.

I can see the results varying wildly with different commercial ice creams, then if people are using "light" ice cream that would also alter the results greatly.

+1...

Thanks for checking that out, Shelly.
And good point, BC. Fat and sugar content could really throw it off. I'm not sure I follow you on the air though. Won't you lose the air when the ice cream is melted?

ETA: I see what you mean now. One pint ice cream as in one container. I was thinking the melted volume of one pint.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom