Understanding RED VELVET CAKE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whacky Cake (or Crazy Cake or Cockeyed Cake) has neither the taste nor the texture of Red Velvet Cake.

Whacky cake is VERY chocolaty. Red Velvet Cake has just the slightest hint of cocoa; you almost can't identify it.

Whacky cake is denser and more 'spongy' than the moist fluffiness of Red Velvet Cake.

Red Velvet Cake has the tanginess of buttermilk, and is multi-dimensional. Whacky cake is simply one-dimensional.

Other than using vinegar, they really have little in common.

This is so informative, I love it! After all this talk, I am ready to bake a red velvet cake. I have some chocolate from Costa Rica that was giving to me by my mother-in-law and the recipe that I copied, I am ready!! Thank you!!

Wacky cake was "invented" during the rationing period of WW2 I am told. Thus the limited ingredient list. Its the first cake I was ever allowed to bake on my own and I remember having to stand on a chair to reach the counter, and being fascinated by the action of the vinegar in the soda.

I've only made red velvet cake once and have to admit the red color puts me off. I don't like eating that much food coloring. If I try it again I'm going to try beets or beet juice. I'm also going to try GW's recipe. Looks like a winner. Thanks GW.

Does anyone ever read the post titles and just get the wrong idea?

I used to work as a red velvet cake translator. I helped people understand red velvet cake.

Or

It's hard to find an understanding red velvet cake, they're usually so gruff and closed off.

I do that, but I didn't do that with this thread title. I have come up with some whoppers that would have been way more interesting than what was actually posted...LOL

I don't care if it turn out red or not, I was just saying that i could get the same texture and taste only without all the red food color hense the wacky cake.

If all you want is the "cake" and not the "colour" (which is not what I understood before so thanks for clarifying), you should try this it is tons better than wacky cake and probably closer to what you want.

Dark Chocolate Cake II

I up the cocoa to 1 cup, but it is still good at 3/4 cup.

Back
Top Bottom