Uneven Baking of Cheesecake - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XiaoZhu

Assistant Cook
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I need some help. I just tried baking a New York Cheescake a few days ago and the taste turned out perfect. I baked it for 1 hour at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) like most cheesecakes and I did the water-bath method too, just that I used a cookie tray which holds up to 1-2cm of water. Furthermore, after the 1 hour baking, I kept my oven door closed and left my Cheescake to rest in the oven for 6 hours before keeping it in the refrigerator overnight. However, the Cheesecake turned out to be very creamy (or soft) in the centre, but the sides of the cake were alittle hard.

Anything that I could do to solve this problem? I thought of baking it alittle longer, but wont the sides of the cake turn even harder? Or is there anything wrong with my procedure or recipe that I can tweak. Here is the ingredients I used for my Cheesecake:

INGREDIENTS:
15 graham crackers, crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted

4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup milk
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 tbs all-purpose flour
http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/ChantalsNewYorkCheeseCake.asp

Besides the uneven baking, I'd like to ask if I were use Heavy Whipping Cream or Condensed Milk in substitute for the Milk, will it be better or no change in taste and texture.

All help is appreciated in perfecting my very first Cheesecake. Thank you.

-XiaoZhu

Last edited by a moderator:
In order for the water bath to be effective, the water has to be at least half way up the sides of the cheesecake pan. 1-2 cm, less than an inch, would be worthless.

This is why you had the uneven cooking. If you had used a deeper water bath and cooked the cheesecake a little longer, the sides, protected from the heat by the water bath, would not be over cooked.

Thanks Andy for the reply.

Do you think that by leaving the cake in the oven after baking for 6 hours had a part to blame for making the centre soft? Since moisture overall might have concentrated in the middle of the cake?

No. leave my cheesecake in the oven and on the counter top for hours until it reaches room temperature then I refrigerate it.

The water bath moderates the rate at which the cheesecake cooks. It slows down the cooking of the edges allowing the center to cook. The soft center is most likely due to undercooking.

I see. I'm going to try it again tomorrow.

Thanks alot Andy for your help!

as andy m. says, the water bath should go far towards helping, but another couple of points are worth bearing in mind. the water protects the sides from overcooking because water never gets hotter than 212 degrees (100celsius). if it was still too soft in the center after an hour without the waterbath, it'll take even longer with it. you may need to tack on another 10-15 minutes or so, especially if by "very creamy" you mean too soft. another tactic would be to use a larger diameter pan to decrease the height of the cake.

the recipe looks very standard. if you are still running into problems after the second or third cake, you could try: increasing the flour a teaspoon or so, use another egg, decrease the sugar, decrease the milk.

substituting cream for the milk will be fine. personally, i don't care for the flavor of condensed milk, so i wouldn't use it. if you like the flavor, you can use it but will probably want to decrease the sugar a bit.
icon12.gif

what kind of pan are you using? i take it that you aren't using a spring-form pan.

Something else.
I generally have the water warm by the time I put my cake (haven't try whipped baked cheese cake but Japanese cheese cake) in. I think its not good to pour cold water in as you start baking your cake.

tekkyy said:
Something else.
I generally have the water warm by the time I put my cake (haven't try whipped baked cheese cake but Japanese cheese cake) in. I think its not good to pour cold water in as you start baking your cake.

Good point. I neglected to mention that the water I add to the water bath is boiling when I pour it in.

philso said:
what kind of pan are you using? i take it that you aren't using a spring-form pan.

I learned from my first cheesecake experience that using the Spring-form pan is very important when baking cheesecakes. Make sure to use one.

XiaoZhu said:
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I need some help. I just tried baking a New York Cheescake a few days ago and the taste turned out perfect. I baked it for 1 hour at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) like most cheesecakes and I did the water-bath method too, just that I used a cookie tray which holds up to 1-2cm of water. Furthermore, after the 1 hour baking, I kept my oven door closed and left my Cheescake to rest in the oven for 6 hours before keeping it in the refrigerator overnight. However, the Cheesecake turned out to be very creamy (or soft) in the centre, but the sides of the cake were alittle hard.

Anything that I could do to solve this problem? I thought of baking it alittle longer, but wont the sides of the cake turn even harder? Or is there anything wrong with my procedure or recipe that I can tweak. Here is the ingredients I used for my Cheesecake:

INGREDIENTS:
15 graham crackers, crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted

4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup milk
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 tbs all-purpose flour
http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/ChantalsNewYorkCheeseCake.asp

Besides the uneven baking, I'd like to ask if I were use Heavy Whipping Cream or Condensed Milk in substitute for the Milk, will it be better or no change in taste and texture.

All help is appreciated in perfecting my very first Cheesecake. Thank you.

-XiaoZhu

Welcome to DC, XiaoZhu.

Never made a cheesecake in a water bath - bain-marie. The water pan should be deeper, if that is the method you are following. The cookie sheet & leaving it in the oven 6 hours may also be another contributing factor as to the results. Suggestion - go with a T & T recipe/method -- perhaps do a search for a cheesecake recipe on this site. Recipes I see on other sites like allrecipes... I read 'em, but don't make 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:
college_cook said:
I learned from my first cheesecake experience that using the Spring-form pan is very important when baking cheesecakes. Make sure to use one.

the thing about spring-form pans is that you'll end up with a sodden mess if you tried using a water bath.

like mish, none of my cheesecake recipes requires a water bath. i'd consider a waterbath if i were to use custard cups or ramekins, buttering (and using crumbs?) on the bottom and sides in order to turn them out.

It's easy enough to use a springform pan in a water bath. All you have to do is wrap it in foil first. Place the pan in the middle of a large piece of foil and bring the foil up and crimp it around the sides of the pan. I've never had a problem doing this.

I have a TNT recipe that doesn't require a water bath. When I get home, I'll get it out and copy it to this forum, including the cooking technique. I made a double-recipe sized cheesecake last Monday night and was told that I needed to quit my job and open a cheesecake shop. This recipe has never failed me. I will also post temerature and timing variations for abnormal sized cheesecakes that I have successfully made from this recipe.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have never used milk in a cheesecake. That would make the cake batter runny and no doubt need the extra baking. You can omit without any problems. I like a soft, creamy cheesecake. If it is baked too long it will be dry and crumbly.

Here's the never-fail recipe that I always use for a New York Cheesecake:

New York Style Cheesecake

Crust:
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tbs. Butter, melted
2 tbs. Sugar

Filling:
2 - 8oz. Pkg. Cream Cheese (1 lb.)
¾ cup Sugar
2 large Eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 tbs. Cornstarch
1 cup sour cream.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Combine the crust ingredients and press into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Place in the freezer.

Mixt together the filling ingredients with a wire whip or mixer, until smooth and creamy. Remove the pan from the freezer and pour the filling mixture into the crust. Place the cheesecake into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to 200 degrees F. And bake for 45 minutes more. Turn off the oven and crack open the door. Allow the cheesecake to cook with the oven.

Top with your favorite berry pie filling, such as blueberry, strawberry, cherry, etc. Alternately, mix 1 cup of sour cream with ¼ cup sugar. Blend until smooth. Use this to top your cheesecake.

For a creamier cheesecake, bake the final stage for 35 to 40 minutes. This will result in a softer cheesecake.

I have also substituted ½ of the cream cheese with 8 oz. Of cottage cheese that was forced through a sieve. This makes a slightly more tangy filling that is very good. You can also swirl soft jam through the filling to alter this classic recipe.

For my last cheesecake, I doubled the recipe and baked it in a 14 by 10, rectangular roasting pan. The desert was about 2 inches thick. I was worried that the larger cheesecake would require more cooking time. It did.

I estimated that the original 15 minutes at 450 would be appropriate, but the lower cooking temperature and time from the original recipe would need to be altered. After the first 15 minutes had elapsed, I turned the oven down to 180 degrees and baked for 1 hour. The crust did not scorch at all. And the filling, well let's just say that it came out without a blemish, no cracks, and shiny on top. I let it cool with the oven, with the oven door slightly ajar. I topped it the next day with a strawberry mouse. The desert was a huge hit at the place where it was served.

You can make this cheesecake creamier by reducing the cooking time at final temperature by ten minutes.

Hope this helps. I know it's a good recipe. As I said, it has never failed me.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom