Using cake scraps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
Doing some baking today, mostly to get some practice decorating cakes, and I have large amount of cake left over.

I was just wondering if anyone has something they like to do with their cake scraps? I was thinking maybe some sort of bread pudding, but that's not really one of my favorite things to eat.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Never made or had trifle... it's served cold I'm assuming?

It seems like I should combine my crumbs with fruit jelly or liqeuer, and top with pudding and cream, or something similar to that, is that about right?

You can alternate layers of cake chunks/crumbs, pudding, fruit. The pudding base can be flavored with liqueurs or flavorings that compliment the fruit.

Flavored whipped cream can be substituted for pudding if you want. Espresso powder could be mixed in with the whipped cream for another flavor, depending on the other ingredients in the trifle. Let your imagination be your guide.

Yes, it is served cold.

college_cook said:
Never made or had trifle... it's served cold I'm assuming?

It seems like I should combine my crumbs with fruit jelly or liqeuer, and top with pudding and cream, or something similar to that, is that about right?

OMG, trifle is the world's best, best, best pudding! You should try it. We tend to have it on Boxing day or New Years day...but its wonderful and there are lots of variations.

Cake scraps in the bottom of a bowl, slosh over some sherry/ameretto/rum....depending on fruit used and prefernce, then fruit, or fruit and "jello" then custard (real thick, vanilla custard!) then whipped cream, then perhaps some srunchy ameretti biscuits and cherries to decorate. I put the biscuits in the bottom layer too, because I like the texture once they get soggy.

Rhubarb makes a nice trifle, or chocolate cake with cherries or oranges for the fruit.

:pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

Cake crumbs can be used to...

...make cake balls!
It's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this post.
Except, I guess it depends on how much cake you have leftover.
Cake Balls - Allrecipes

I know it lists store bought "stuff" but just use your own home-made ones:-p.

I love a good Trifle. Like Lime Berry Mouse, Black Forrest, Strawberry Shortcake, Banana Split, Mocha Almond Fudge, Mint Chip, Buttercream Ladyfinger Deluxe...If I could only post a word doc with all of these on it. PM me and I'll email them to you if you wish, I have quite a collection.

I throw cake leftovers in the freezer. When I have unexpected guests for dinner, I use them for dessert. I use a scoop of icecream, cake crumbles & Kahlua or Amaretto (for adults) & chocolate or raspberry sauce (for kids or non-drinkers).

Sherry trifle would be my 1st, 2nd 3rd etc etc choice and don't go easy on the sherry. Put some glacé cherries in too. Or some Bailey's in the custard!
Lovely.
Tell me when it's ready and I'll get the trusty broomstick out to cross the Pond>

My mom and my sister do a lot of cake decorating, and we just snack on the leftover pieces. They're good for when you want a little something sweet, and not a lot.

Back
Top Bottom