Using espresso

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya know, that always annoyed me - They actually have some tiny letters above the name in the upper left hand corner that says "tipo espresso," but why so tiny? If you look at the photo, you can just make it out:

Thanks! I had only ever seen it at Java cabana, it was an unknown for me, but I had used the MDO before. Now that I can see that, I'll give it a go. They love me there. I buy by the case...every six months.:rolleyes:

Thanks! I had only ever seen it at Java cabana, it was an unknown for me, but I had used the MDO before. Now that I can see that, I'll give it a go. They love me there. I buy by the case...every six months.:rolleyes:

You're very welcome! I've been using it for years in all my chocolate baking, and since I'm a total chocoholic, it's been quite often. I don't like any kind of instant espresso to drink, though - there I prefer brewed espresso with freshly ground espresso beans. Actually I use decaf, since I make it really strong, and if I use regular espresso, I'll be speeding my brains out!

But, anyway, for chocolate stuff, Bustelo is the best. I notice they also make a decaf instant - I wonder what that's like. They also carry Pilon, another Cuban brand, which is supposed to be good, but I've never tried it.
When you try it out, let me know what you think!

You're very welcome! I've been using it for years in all my chocolate baking, and since I'm a total chocoholic, it's been quite often. I don't like any kind of instant espresso to drink, though - there I prefer brewed espresso with freshly ground espresso beans. Actually I use decaf, since I make it really strong, and if I use regular espresso, I'll be speeding my brains out!

But, anyway, for chocolate stuff, Bustelo is the best. I notice they also make a decaf instant - I wonder what that's like. They also carry Pilon, another Cuban brand, which is supposed to be good, but I've never tried it.
When you try it out, let me know what you think!

The Pilon is wonderful! I have had the Bustelo ground roast. Just not the instant. I'm not good at explaining how a coffee tastes, but I really like both of them.

The Pilon is wonderful! I have had the Bustelo ground roast. Just not the instant. I'm not good at explaining how a coffee tastes, but I really like both of them.

That's good to know! I've been buying Starbuck's Decaf ground beans, but I really should try the Bustelo and Pilon - I just looked at the site, and they make a decaf for both. I have to see if my supermarket carries either one of those. Thanks!

I ordered my espresso. So today I was in my local grocer and I decided to ask why they didn't carry it. She quickly asked me the brand and said she would order it. Well, I couldn't remember the brand, lol, but she is checking into it. Why didn't I ask before I ordered, lol. Oh well, at least now, hopefully, it will be local. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has needed it.

I'll remember from now on to see if I can have them get what I need.

jusnikki said:
I ordered my espresso. So today I was in my local grocer and I decided to ask why they didn't carry it. She quickly asked me the brand and said she would order it. Well, I couldn't remember the brand, lol, but she is checking into it. Why didn't I ask before I ordered, lol. Oh well, at least now, hopefully, it will be local. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has needed it.

I'll remember from now on to see if I can have them get what I need.

How do they not have espresso?? It's like a common Drink. like a grocer not carrying OJ. Me and husband have one daily and sell several dozen a day in the restaurant. Maybe I am missing something? is it a special kind your looking for ?

as for the baking. I keep instant espresso on hand for recipes that add it to the dry but I always use fresh brewed from my espresso machine up add to chocolate buttercream. That is the absolute best use of espresso in my opinion. Espresso chocolate buttercream.

Last edited:
How do they not have espresso?? It's like a common Drink. like a grocer not carrying OJ. Me and husband have one daily and sell several dozen a day in the restaurant. Maybe I am missing something? is it a special kind your looking for ?

as for the baking. I keep instant espresso on hand for recipes that add it to the dry but I always use fresh brewed from my espresso machine up add to chocolate buttercream. That is the absolute best use of espresso in my opinion. Espresso chocolate buttercream.

I don't know why they didn't carry it. I thought it was fairly common also, since you can get espresso drinks on every corner. But they didn't even carry it in our local wal-mart. I only wanted to use it for baking but I'm sure people got to be getting the stuff from somewhere, lol.

jusnikki said:
I don't know why they didn't carry it. I thought it was fairly common also, since you can get espresso drinks on every corner. But they didn't even carry it in our local wal-mart. I only wanted to use it for baking but I'm sure people got to be getting the stuff from somewhere, lol.

So weird! But enjoy when you get it and def make chocolate espresso buttercream and try not to eat nearly the entire thing with a spoon and get nauseas..... Not that I ever did that ;)

I think it was because you were looking for instant espresso. I have a jar of that because Stirling bought it for migraine emergency backup. We usually make espresso with coffee ground very fine.

Espresso in Tiramisu or Coffee Cake

Good Evening,

Interesting post. Thank you.

Firstly, espresso contains a tremendous amount of caffeine and thus, tiramisu which translates to: pick me up or energize...

If you are caffeine sensitive, one should use Decaff ... or one might not sleep or get quite nervous.

It comes in an instant format and decaff at most Large Supermarkets.

It is commonly used in pastries ( in subject title ) and coffee icecream.

Kind regards.
Margi.

It is common to find Bustello and Pilon used to make Cuban Coffee verses Italian Espresso. However, yes, one can employ it in tiramisu or coffee cake.

Kind regards.

Margi.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to say that after adding the espresso it makes a noticeable difference. I add it when ever I can in my chocolate cake recipes. It gives it a richer flavor. Love it even though I don't drink coffee.

Last edited:
My mother has always used cold coffee in her chocolate cake recipe for 40 years...

I understand why. I'll now be using it whenever I make chocolate cake. Even though I have to pay an arm and a leg for espresso since I have to order it.

I understand why. I'll now be using it whenever I make chocolate cake. Even though I have to pay an arm and a leg for espresso since I have to order it.

Look in the instant coffee area or in an Italian market if there is one in your area. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom