"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Master Chef

I make that cake too with the 9x13 recipe. We find the cake so good that we don't frost it! I just dust it with powdered sugar. Sometimes if I have it we'll add whipped cream. It's awesome in the summer as a substitute for the shortcake in strawberry shortcake.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Master Chef

Just wanted to say, I love hearing the great personal stories that often come up around here. It's one of my very favorite things about Discuss Cooking.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
Master Chef

I meant to add that we called it Krazy Kake not wacky. I remember Mom got the recipe out of the newspaper. She rarely did that usually opting for family standards from her childhood. It wasn't until all us kids were grown that she started expanding her horizons making other stuff. She'd occasionally get a recipe from a church friend but only if she had tried it and liked it. She was a good cook but not adventurous.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
Head Chef

Wacky cake love it - It also was the first cake i ever made ( 40 yrs ago) that didn't come out of a box, I use regular frosting on it. a cake that doesn't last long in this house.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Executive Chef

My grandmother used to make it for us. The best cake she made though was what she called a hot milk cake. Made in an angel food cake pan and there was no frosting. I liked it best when it fell. There was this dense layer in the fallen cake I thought was great.

Craig
Old 03-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
Senior Cook

:( i've never had it, but i think i'll have to try it...
may i ask why they call it a wacky cake???
Old 03-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I will have to try it too! Anyone have peanut butter icing on it? Is it any good?

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That is my favourite chocolate cake. My recipe is slightly different: Quick Chocolate Cake TNT

It works fine with whole grain wheat flour (doesn't even matter if it is soft or hard or all purpose whole grain wheat).

I frosted it once. The frosting was delicious, but it detracted from the cake, so I don't do that any more.

I think it is called "wacky" or "krazy" because you mix it in the baking pan.

I never grease the pan, but I serve it out of the pan.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky77 View Post
:( i've never had it, but i think i'll have to try it...
may i ask why they call it a wacky cake???
Jacky, it's likely called Wacky because of the lack of eggs and dairy. It was probably born of WWII, or maybe even earlier in the great depression, when such items were in short supply. Now days, it's perfect for Vegan's.

TL......I'm going to try your recipe....I have a fondness for butter and buttermilk.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #20
Sous Chef

This cake took many names. Back in 1960, Peg Bracken had this cake in her "I Hate To Cook Book". She called it Cockeyed Cake.

Whatever it's called, it's delicious!

Tags
recipe

Wacky Cake..anyone remember this? I forgot all about this cake that was all the rage before many of you were born. It's for the "baking challenged" like [B]ME [/B]who hardly ever bake because it's too much trouble, or nothing seems to turn out right. My kids loved making it too. No eggs required. You will need a 8x8 pan....nice size for couples, or those living alone. [B]Wacky Cake 1 1/2 cups flour 3 Tbs. coco powder (I use Hershey's) 1/4 tsp salt 3/4 cup sugar 1 tsp baking soda 6 Tbs. vegetable oil 1 tsp white vinegar 1 tsp. vanilla 1 cup cold water Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil your 8x8" pan. Sift all dry ingredients directly into pan, and mix. Make three holes in the dry ingredients. Pour the vanilla in one hole, the oil in another hole, and the vinegar in the third hole. Pour the water over all, and mix it all up with a rubber spatula till smooth. Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 min. till a toothpick test comes out clean. Set the cake to cool for the amount of time to make the yummy frosting...the best part. Frosting for Wacky Cake 1/4 C. real butter 2 Tbs. coco powder 3 Tbs. milk or yogurt or buttermilk Combine above in a sauce pan, stir and heat till butter is melted. Add 1 tsp vanilla and sift in two cups of powdered sugar. Add chopped nuts if you wish, and pour over warm cake. [/B] 3 stars 1 reviews