"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Master Chef

Wacky Cake..anyone remember this?

I forgot all about this cake that was all the rage before many of you were born. It's for the "baking challenged" like ME who hardly ever bake because it's too much trouble, or nothing seems to turn out right. My kids loved making it too. No eggs required.

You will need a 8x8 pan....nice size for couples, or those living alone.

Wacky Cake

1 1/2 cups flour
3 Tbs. coco powder (I use Hershey's)
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
6 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil your 8x8" pan. Sift all dry ingredients directly into pan, and mix. Make three holes in the dry ingredients. Pour the vanilla in one hole, the oil in another hole, and the vinegar in the third hole. Pour the water over all, and mix it all up with a rubber spatula till smooth. Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 min. till a toothpick test comes out clean.
Set the cake to cool for the amount of time to make the yummy frosting...the best part.

Frosting for Wacky Cake

1/4 C. real butter
2 Tbs. coco powder
3 Tbs. milk or yogurt or buttermilk

Combine above in a sauce pan, stir and heat till butter is melted.
Add 1 tsp vanilla and sift in two cups of powdered sugar. Add chopped nuts if you wish, and pour over warm cake.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Heck yes, I remember it!! Mom made that for us....in fact it may have been one of the first things I baked when I was a teen. I'm swipin' that one for old time's sake.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
Master Chef

And it's still as delicious as ever Annie.

My husband just said....."That cake you just made is terrible. I'll have to eat it all so it doesn't go to waste". He can be a PITA sometimes.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
And it's still as delicious as ever Annie.

My husband just said....."That cake you just made is terrible. I'll have to eat it all so it doesn't go to waste". He can be a PITA sometimes.
Shrek said he'd sacrifice himself and finish off the fish...so I wouldn't have to face it, again. I think something smells fishy..
Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I love that cake. At least I did when I was younger. I used to make it with my kids when they were little. I always thought it was fun to make as a kid myself too. I haven't made it with the grandsons yet, but need to. Thanks for the reminder. And,by the way, you could send it my way if hubby won't it because my hubby will eat anything that is chocolate. He just won't eat anything that is a veggie or fruit.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

I had to make part of my niece's wedding cake and all of her shower cake out of wacky cake. It isn't conducive to carving so it was a bit of a challenge, but my niece loved it so that is what counts! I had actually never heard of it before I married my husband!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I love that cake. At least I did when I was younger. I used to make it with my kids when they were little. I always thought it was fun to make as a kid myself too. I haven't made it with the grandsons yet, but need to. Thanks for the reminder. And,by the way, you could send it my way if hubby won't it because my hubby will eat anything that is chocolate. He just won't eat anything that is a veggie or fruit.
Remind him the chocolate is definitely in the fruit and vegetable category and he should give the others a chance!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

i remember making this cake about 30 years ago. my recipe made a 9 by 13 cake. we were not making much money and i had four teenagers to feed.,only two were mine. anyway the no eggs made it affordable. we had goats at the time. i made a frosting out of that. very tasty and was always fresh. thanks for the memory.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Master Chef

Babe, you made frosting out of goats?
Quote:
we had goats at the time. i made a frosting out of that.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Babe, you made frosting out of goats?

it did kinda read like that didn't it, lol. i meant to say the milk. it tasted pretty good in frosting. those three teenage boys and one girl could really go through the cake in a hurry. one boy was my son and the girl (her goats) was mine as well. the other two were friends of my son's whose parents had tossed them out. we are still in touch with one of them. could never understand why the parents threw them out.

Tags
recipe

Wacky Cake..anyone remember this? I forgot all about this cake that was all the rage before many of you were born. It's for the "baking challenged" like [B]ME [/B]who hardly ever bake because it's too much trouble, or nothing seems to turn out right. My kids loved making it too. No eggs required. You will need a 8x8 pan....nice size for couples, or those living alone. [B]Wacky Cake 1 1/2 cups flour 3 Tbs. coco powder (I use Hershey's) 1/4 tsp salt 3/4 cup sugar 1 tsp baking soda 6 Tbs. vegetable oil 1 tsp white vinegar 1 tsp. vanilla 1 cup cold water Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil your 8x8" pan. Sift all dry ingredients directly into pan, and mix. Make three holes in the dry ingredients. Pour the vanilla in one hole, the oil in another hole, and the vinegar in the third hole. Pour the water over all, and mix it all up with a rubber spatula till smooth. Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 min. till a toothpick test comes out clean. Set the cake to cool for the amount of time to make the yummy frosting...the best part. Frosting for Wacky Cake 1/4 C. real butter 2 Tbs. coco powder 3 Tbs. milk or yogurt or buttermilk Combine above in a sauce pan, stir and heat till butter is melted. Add 1 tsp vanilla and sift in two cups of powdered sugar. Add chopped nuts if you wish, and pour over warm cake. [/B] 3 stars 1 reviews