"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 04-27-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
Senior Cook

My God I'm so glad I met you!! Thanks so much! I do have some dried cherries and cranberries from last time (I think the brand is Sun Maid), but I haven't made cookies using them. Should I just stir them in instead of chocolate chips or do I need another recipe?

Old 04-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Yes, you can just add them in place of - or in addition to! - the chocolate chips!

Re your question about the hot milk - it makes the rising agent (the baking powder) act faster, giving a very light, 'spongy' texture to the cake. It's a very 'old timey' way to make a cake. Here's a recipe that my grandma made all the time - it's great with icing, or just with some fruit and whipped cream.

Hot Milk Sponge Cake - Small

2 eggs
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk, scalded
1 tsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat eggs well. Add sugar gradually, beating until lemon colored. Add sifted dry ingredients. Add scalded milk with butter added. Stir lightly into batter. Add vanilla. Pour into buttered, floured 8 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:43 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Thanks Marmalady! :-)
Old 04-28-2006, 03:56 AM   #14
Head Chef

i cant find all the baking ingredients in pakistan either.we dont have sour cream here and i'm looking for buttermilk these days with no success so far.But i can tell you some of the baking substitutes that you can use.Hope this will help you.

Buttermilk 1 cup ~ 1 cup yogurt or ~ 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup

Chocolate (unsweetened) 1 ounce ~ 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

half and half 1 cup ~ 7/8 cup milk plus 1 tablespoon butter

Evaporated milk 1 cup ~ 1 cup light cream

Corn syrup 1 cup ~ 1 1/4 cup white sugar plus 1/3 cup water or ~ 1 cup honey

Flour - Cake 1 cup ~ 1 cup all-purpose flour minus 2 tablespoons

Molasses 1 cup mix together ~ 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Sour cream 1 cup ~ 1 cup plain yogurt or ~ 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough cream to make 1 cup

If you like baking with chocolate,i recommend hershey's unsweetened cocoa.It makes best chocolate cakes in the world.Baker's chocolate squares and nestle's chocolate bars and pre-melted chocolate is great too.Sweetened flaked coconut and baking nuts are another thing you may not find in India.And if you like your cakes frosted,get tons of confectioner's sugar from USA so you can make creamiest,smoothest frostings.Among bakeware,i suggest a good non stick springform pan will be a lovely addition to your baking pans.Its great for cheesecakes and other delicate cakes that r difficult to unmould.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:04 AM   #15
Head Chef

Hey Yakuta! how are you doing?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #16
Head Chef

Hi Sarah I am hoping you the same Sarah from Rochester MN. There are multiple Sarah's on this boards. Even if you are not hello to you. Hope we can learn from one another.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:27 AM   #17
Senior Cook

thanks sarah!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
Hi Sarah I am hoping you the same Sarah from Rochester MN. There are multiple Sarah's on this boards. Even if you are not hello to you. Hope we can learn from one another.
yeah yakuta! i'm the same Sarah.I had moved to cleveland OH in oct after the birth of my daughter.Stayed there for 4 months.Now i'm back in my own country.How is everything with you? how is your cooking going?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:31 AM   #19
Head Chef

Hi Sarah, you have become quite the traveler. I did not know you moved to Ohio and then back to Pakistan.

Well are you going to return to US or are you back for good. The weather is finally looking up in Chicago and Spring is my favorite time. A lot of entertaining and weddings are coming up and all of them mean food and parties which is always fun

Tags
None