Warm milk in cakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaheen

Senior Cook
I've come across recipes for cakes that require milk to be hot, warm or at room temperature. What difference does the temperature of it make?

shaheen! warm milk or warm water is preferred because they make the cake softer,moister.

it looks like u r a cake lover:) .you know cake is my favorite dessert.i can live on just chocolate cake for days.and i love baking them too.

Hey Sarah:) I was wondering if you get all the ingredients in Pak? Here it's really difficult to get and sour cream. If a recipe call for it, with what can I substitute it?

Hi Shaheen I know you posted this to Sarah but I will answer anyway :)

To make sour cream where you are do the following:

Use yogurt (either home made or ready made)
Get some cream (Parsi Dairy in Bombay)

Mix the yogurt with the cream (portion should be 1 cup yogurt to 3 tbsp of cream). Place it in a bowl and let it all ferment togethr overnight in the fridge. It will get nice and creamy.

You can then use that in any recipe that calls for sour cream.

All the best and welcome to the boards. I am originally from Bombay as well so good to see someone from there on this board.

Heyy Yakuta!!! Thanks sooo much! :) :) :) Hey since you know Bombay and the stuff available, could you please suggest things that my cousins could get from the US that i won't find here? I'm not looking for anything specific. Just anything that makes cooking/baking simpler and more delicious. (they are coming next month)

Hi Shaheen, I am originally from Bombay but I have been in the US for 17+ years and not been back for about 12 so not sure how much has changed.

If I know what sorts of things you are interested in I can definitely make some suggestions. Do you like to bake stuff. If so I can suggest that they get you some nice teflon coated baking pans. I also suggested to one of my aunts who visited from there to get a Silpat. Silpat is a silicone lined sheet that nothing sticks to. You can line your baking pan with it and make cookies perfectly. You can use it 500+ times before it goes bad.

You can ask them to get you a lot of other things like silicone spatulas, good quality chocolate bars, baking powder, baking soda, chocolate chips (white, dark, peanut butter). Also nuts in large packs like almonds and walnuts.

If you like to try different spices ask them to get you dry basil, thyme, oregano, itlian herbs, lemon pepper seasonings etc. Depending on where they are going they can find most of this in a regular grocery store or a place like SAMS.

Oh sorry I forgot that you like to bake cakes. There are a lot of ready to bake cake mixes available here that are failproof. You can ask them to get you some of those. One of the more popular brand is Duncan Hines. There are several others as well and again available in a grocery store. All you do is take that mix, add eggs to it and oil (they tell you how muc) and viola pour, bake and enjoy.

Thanks so much Yakuta, you're such a great help! :D well most of the things you mentioned are luckily available. Could you suggest good brands for Cajun spice mix and Italian mix and the lemon pepper seasoning you mentioned?

Also, are hersheys good enough? or is there a better brand? philly cheese is the best for cheesecakes, right?

There are numerous good quality chocolates but I think Hersheys or Ghiradelli will suffice. I prefer Scharffen Berger but then again I am not huge into chocolate so a little goes a long way for me and the finer the quality the better. Hersheys makes all kinds of chips like butterfinger, milk chocolate, semi sweet, white, peanut butter that should give you a good variety and punch to your baking.

For Cajun and other seasonings you asked about I recommend Mccormick.

One more thing I would recommend are some dried cherries and cranberries. I like to buy a brand called craisins which is by Ocean Spray. I like to use them in cookies I bake and just as a snack to munch on. You can mix it with dried nuts and other dried fruits for a healthy and delicious snack. When I was back in India I know cranberries were not available.

Philadelphia Cream Cheese is the best for Cheesecakes but I don't believe they can bring it along unless they have icepacks or something to keep it cool.

:) My God I'm so glad I met you!! :) :) Thanks so much! I do have some dried cherries and cranberries from last time (I think the brand is Sun Maid), but I haven't made cookies using them. Should I just stir them in instead of chocolate chips or do I need another recipe?

Yes, you can just add them in place of - or in addition to! - the chocolate chips!

Re your question about the hot milk - it makes the rising agent (the baking powder) act faster, giving a very light, 'spongy' texture to the cake. It's a very 'old timey' way to make a cake. Here's a recipe that my grandma made all the time - it's great with icing, or just with some fruit and whipped cream.

Hot Milk Sponge Cake - Small

2 eggs
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk, scalded
1 tsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat eggs well. Add sugar gradually, beating until lemon colored. Add sifted dry ingredients. Add scalded milk with butter added. Stir lightly into batter. Add vanilla. Pour into buttered, floured 8 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

i cant find all the baking ingredients in pakistan either.we dont have sour cream here and i'm looking for buttermilk these days with no success so far.But i can tell you some of the baking substitutes that you can use.Hope this will help you.

Buttermilk 1 cup ~ 1 cup yogurt or ~ 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup

Chocolate (unsweetened) 1 ounce ~ 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

half and half 1 cup ~ 7/8 cup milk plus 1 tablespoon butter

Evaporated milk 1 cup ~ 1 cup light cream

Corn syrup 1 cup ~ 1 1/4 cup white sugar plus 1/3 cup water or ~ 1 cup honey

Flour - Cake 1 cup ~ 1 cup all-purpose flour minus 2 tablespoons

Molasses 1 cup mix together ~ 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Sour cream 1 cup ~ 1 cup plain yogurt or ~ 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough cream to make 1 cup

If you like baking with chocolate,i recommend hershey's unsweetened cocoa.It makes best chocolate cakes in the world.Baker's chocolate squares and nestle's chocolate bars and pre-melted chocolate is great too.Sweetened flaked coconut and baking nuts are another thing you may not find in India.And if you like your cakes frosted,get tons of confectioner's sugar from USA so you can make creamiest,smoothest frostings.Among bakeware,i suggest a good non stick springform pan will be a lovely addition to your baking pans.Its great for cheesecakes and other delicate cakes that r difficult to unmould.

Hi Sarah I am hoping you the same Sarah from Rochester MN. There are multiple Sarah's on this boards. Even if you are not hello to you. Hope we can learn from one another.

Yakuta said:
Hi Sarah I am hoping you the same Sarah from Rochester MN. There are multiple Sarah's on this boards. Even if you are not hello to you. Hope we can learn from one another.

yeah yakuta! i'm the same Sarah.I had moved to cleveland OH in oct after the birth of my daughter.Stayed there for 4 months.Now i'm back in my own country.How is everything with you? how is your cooking going?

Hi Sarah, you have become quite the traveler. I did not know you moved to Ohio and then back to Pakistan.

Well are you going to return to US or are you back for good. The weather is finally looking up in Chicago and Spring is my favorite time. A lot of entertaining and weddings are coming up and all of them mean food and parties which is always fun :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom