"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 12-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
Wedding cup cakes

Ok folks, has anyone ever done this? I am planning on having cup cakes for my wedding cake, chocolate, plain and spice or carrot. I'm planning on doing half iced simply with coloured butter frosting, and the other half decorated.

I think there are going to be (gulp, gasp) 250 folk at the wedding So that's 250 cup cakes!!!!! Egads!

Do you think this is a good idea or not??? I'm kinda thinking that I might be putting myself under too much pressure, but then again something physical to do might keep me focussed and less stressed out about stuff outside my control! And besides, I am having (oh my goodness) 7 bridesmaids (one adult, the rest kids) who I am sure can be drafted in to assist!

kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Hopefully this is your one and only wedding! So I say Go for it!!!
The carrot cake ones sound good to me...with some type cream cheese icing. Variety will be nice also.

Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Sous Chef
works for the good folk of west virginia!!

I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
mugsy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Head Chef
This is a pic of a dear friend in PA's daughter's wedding cupcakes. It is work but sure saves on the bride having to cut the cake!! Much of this can be baked ahead of time and frozen; just remember to take out the day or so before to frost (frosting the cupcakes while they are still frozen will help make it easy!). Congratulations Kyles!!!! I say go for it too!!!!
Polly aka Shunka....the Def Leppard crazy in AZ!!
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
Head Chef
This is your very special day and you should make whatever makes you happy.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
Master Chef
I think it's a great idea, Kyles. Another nice point is that they're easily taken home by guests if they'd rather enjoy them later. Try Googling "wedding cupcakes". I just did and there are tons of finds, from pictures to how-tos.

Good luck! Be sure in the midst of your wedding madness you take pictures for us!
-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
My fiancee and I plan to do this. I think we're going for an elaborate decorative wedding cake just for show, but cupcakes to eat. And we've actually decided to go off the beaten path as far as the food goes. It's going to be an evening/night wedding, and to keep it light we're having desserts only. Well, wines and liquors as well, of course but as for the food we're sticking to fancy little desserts and mini cheesecakes, fresh fruit and a chocolate fountain, and more, I'm sure.

When it comes to weddings, I say enjoy yourself, and do things like you want them to be done. Go for the cupcakes, it will be a classy way to have a little fun with your wedding cake.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Kyles, are you planning on making and decorating them yourself?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by college_cook
My fiancee and I plan to do this. I think we're going for an elaborate decorative wedding cake just for show, but cupcakes to eat.
Will the cake be a form with icing on it? I've just never heard of a wedding cake for 'show'.

I would love to eat my way through your dessert buffet.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Kyles, if you have that many helpers on hand to do cupcakes with you, and it will help you de-stress, then go for it! I'd go with a cake that someone else makes, but then again, Im not a baker type person.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote