Weird - Cheesecake with Cardamom??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's tough to make a real Glögg without cardamom. It's a necessary but somewhat expensive ingredient in many traditional baked goods.

I buy cardamom at one of the local Indian markets. They sell a huge amount of spices for very short money. You should be able to find green and black cardamoms (both pods and ground) for reasonable price.

You still need a recipe from me...do you make waffles? Do you bake cookies? Do you drink red wine and vodka? (Some of you know where I'll be going with the red wine and vodka...)

I guess it's all about what your taste buds are used to. For me cardamom and cilantro are staples in my kitchen. I can't cook Indian food without these two key ingredients.

I don't find cardamom weird in cheesecake. I use it in bread puddings, panna cotta (try making it with saffron and cardamom), kulfi (a rich Indian icecream) and rice puddings.

You don't have to bake to try the subtle hints of cardamom. I challenge you to try the rice pudding that I make with cardamom in it and see if you can put it back. Most of my American friends can't get enough of this stuff and some of them never tasted or liked spiced up rice pudding until they tried my version.

If you are interested, send me a Private Message and I'll forward the recipe.

Also cardamom is not very expensive if you know where to buy it. You can get it even shelled in Indian stores in super small packets. I also put ground cardamom in tea and it's amazing.

One of my friends used to make green tea (loose leaf) and seep it in hot water and add freshly ground cardamom and then strain and serve. Amazing stuff.

Cardamom reminds me of 7 up. I don't know why. Whenever I crush some in my mortar I always think of that soda pop. I can see how it would go with cheesecake...Not much different than cinnamon with meat IMHO....

That's so weird, I've always thought the same thing. I'm not a coke drinker but it definitely smells like some kind of softdrink.

I like cardamon mixed with cinnamon & nutmeg. My mom always made a frosted cinnamon bread baked in large soups cans every Christmas. Good memories. The smell of all 3 spices baking together are delicious.

Back
Top Bottom