Weird - Cheesecake with Cardamom??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
I was at a conference the last few days for work and one of the desserts they served was cheesecake. I was so excited ! I took one bite and went, UGH!!! They had put bits of cardamom in it ! Has anyone ever tried anything like this? To me, cardamom is one of those things that you love or hate.. sort of like when cilantro tastes like soap to some people. To me, cardamom tastes like dirty scented soap.

I know what you mean. I'm one who thinks cilantro tastes like soap.

I have used a couple of different kinds of cardamom in savory and sweet dishes. Never had a problem. I don't know if I ever had it in a cheesecake.

Being of Scandinavian descent, cardamon is a staple in my kitchen. I add it to waffles, french toast, bread, glogg mix, rice pudding, krumkake....oh--gosh, so many things. I don't think the addition of cardamon in a cheesecake is weird. I think I'd like it <g>.

Cardamom reminds me of 7 up. I don't know why. Whenever I crush some in my mortar I always think of that soda pop. I can see how it would go with cheesecake...Not much different than cinnamon with meat IMHO....

Last edited:
Cardamon reminds me of Christmas and making krumkake with my grandma...I guess cardamon is like peat bogs burning...the smell of home and love.

I love cilantro Andy, although if you had asked me two years ago before I started making my own salsa, I would have said, BLECH !!! SOAP!!!

Cardamom though.. just.. blech... lol.. I really don't think I would use it, ever! I understand it is part of some cultures though and totally appreciate that - it's just not for me! lol

I love cilantro Andy, although if you had asked me two years ago before I started making my own salsa, I would have said, BLECH !!! SOAP!!!

Cardamom though.. just.. blech... lol.. I really don't think I would use it, ever! I understand it is part of some cultures though and totally appreciate that - it's just not for me! lol

I'm going to share a recipe with you that has cardamon in it and challenge you to try it <g>. I just have to figure out which of the many recipes I have that use cardamon that it will be.

Last edited:
lol OK :) I prefer a recipe with few ingredients, I try to keep things simple around here :) And not very expensive ingredients if you please!! :)
I am up for the challenge!

I'm going to share a recipe with you that has cardamon in it and challenge you to try it <g>. I just have to figure out which of the many recipes I have that use cardamon that it will be.

How about subbing it for nutmeg? Small amount, slowly introduce.:rolleyes:

I would, but I use my nutmeg about once every 1.5 years! lol

I was actually thinking about doing it just because and see if you could tolerate it in a cookie or something.

I use ground cardamom as an air freshener in my pantry.:ROFLMAO: No choice, it's pungent!

Oh yes it is pungent!! I had it in my pantry for about a month before I tossed it, I could smell the darn stuff even when it wasn't ground, and when the door was closed - I also tossed the dish I made - can't remember what it was now - but it was yuck.

Oh yes it is pungent!! I had it in my pantry for about a month before I tossed it, I could smell the darn stuff even when it wasn't ground, and when the door was closed - I also tossed the dish I made - can't remember what it was now - but it was yuck.

Well then...I don't think you are ever going to care for it...LOL!!!

Okay--here's a recipe to try that uses cardamon (personally, I do not find cardamon and nutmeg are at all similar, but then cardamon is part of so many scandanavian baked goods, I'm rather fond of it).

Cardamon crescents

1 envelope dry active yeast dissolved in 4 T warm water + pinch of sugar
6 T butter
6 T sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 c lukewarm milk
1 tsp crushed cardamon (6-7 pods)
6 c flour

1. Let the yeast-water mixture sit for about 5 minutes.
2. Cream butter and sugar together.
3. Mix the cardamon with the flour
4. Add yeast mixture to creamed ingredients.
5. Add the rest of the ingredients (ending with the flour)
6. Mix to form a dough.
7. Put in greased bowl, cover with a tea towel.
8. Let rise until double (about 1 hour or so)
9. Punch dough down and divide into 4 balls.
10. Roll each ball into a circle, cut each into 8 wedges.
11. Start at the wide end, and roll into a croissant-like roll.
12. Place on greased cookie sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 30 minutes)
13. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

You can freeze these and reheat them in the oven as needed. The recipe makes 48. I don't know if you cut it in half or not, my grandmother used to make these a lot...

When my oldest brother was still around, he would make some odd cheese cakes. He made a garlic cheese cake and one using jalapenos. He would even make garlic fudge.

I would have to try the cardamom cheese cake before I said anything about it.

Craig

CWS, there is a problem.. mainly, I don't bake !!! lol
I don't make breads / yeasty things from scratch. I'm awful.

Got another? lol

WOW craig - garlic cheese cake lol. Crazy.

(personally, I do not find cardamon and nutmeg are at all similar, but then cardamon is part of so many scandanavian baked goods, I'm rather fond of it).

Only similarity I was suggesting was the pungency and trying a recipe with the cardamom in place of the nutmeg as a way to taste the flavor without it being overpowering. Not that they tasted the same.:)

that's really interesting, cws, about cardamom in scandinavian cooking. i must have had it in some dishes as a kid since my mom is a norskie.

the only time i knew that i've had it was in indian cooking, and i always liked it.

If you grew up eating krumkake at Christmas, it most likely had some cardamon in it. We always used the white pods--they seem harder to find now. I add a touch of cardamon and orange zest when I make buttermilk waffles. To me, cardamon is all about baked goods. I am sure I've eaten it in Indian food, but not the Indian food I make.

Back
Top Bottom