What are your favorite kind of cakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of my favorite dessert is Chocolate Cake
chocolate-cake.html

Since cake is what I "do", I can't say that any is my real favourite. When you are baking it, testing and decorating it becomes a little much. However, I made a new recipe for a cake I made for my MIL and it was delicious. It was a strawberry cake with chunks of fresh strawberries and puree in the batter and a strawberry buttercream filling and frosting. Yum!

I like cupcakes (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry), pancakes, doughnuts and one thing I've ordered it from ChefOnline . Not sure the name, it was some kind of goldish spiral, really really sweet and tasty.

I'm digging out two recipes, one for chocolate cake Italian style, and the other for hazelnut cake. I have several hundred recipes to browse through to finde them but will post asap.

di reston

enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Two cakes, Italian style

In response to previous post, here are the two recipes I promised:

Rosy's Chocolate Cake:

3 eggs, separated
3 tbsp plain flour
80g butter
200g dark chocolate drops (dark)
100g sugar

Separate the eggs. Beat the yolks and the sugar together and then add the flour, Beat again.
Whip the egg whites to form firm peaks and add the dark chocolate drops.
Combine all the ingredients together, folding carefully.
Line the baking tin with non-stick paper, and put the cake mix in.
Turn the oven on and set to 150°C.
Put the cake into the cold oven and leave for 20 mins, or until the cake is risen and firmed up.

This is very typical of the style of cake making around here.

Simona's Hazelnut Cake

Preheat the oven to 160°

Beat 6 egg yolks together with 150g sugar
60g potato flour
1 sachet of raising agent
Vanilla flavouring to taste
250g toasted ground hazelnuts
6 egg whites whipped to a firm snow

Put the mix into a lined and greased pan and bake until golden.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

My all time favourite cake is made with almond flour and has a marzipan topping. To die for.

Princess torte

Cake / genoise
Oil spray for pans
3 Tbsp cake flour
1.5 c almond flour (almonds processed to a powder)
1/4 t salt
6 lg eggs
4 lg egg yolks
3/4 c sugar
4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Pastry cream
2 c milk
1 t vanilla
Pinch salt
1/4 c sugar
3 lg egg yolks
1/4 c cornstarch
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
1/4 c water
1/4 c almond liqueur or brandy

Additional
1/2 c seedless raspberry jam
3 c heavy cream
2 packages (7 oz each) marzipan
powdered sugar for dusting

Make the genoise
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil and flour 3 round cake pans, line each bottom with parchment, then spray parchment.

Whisk together cake flour, almond flour, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Whisk eggs, yolks, and granulated sugar in a mixer bowl set over a pot of simmering water until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm to the touch, about 2 minutes. Attach bowl to mixer, and whisk on medium speed for 2 minutes. Raise speed to high, and whisk until mixture is pale and thick, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from mixer. Sift flour mixture over egg mixture, and gently fold. When almost incorporated, slowly add melted butter, and fold.

Divide batter between prepared cake pans, spread evenly, and bake until golden brown and springy to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool. Run a knife around edges of pans, and invert onto a clean surface; discard parchment.

Make the pastry cream
Bring milk, vanilla, salt, and 1/4 cup granulated sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk yolks, cornstarch, and remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar to combine. When milk begins to boil, remove from heat. Slowly ladle half the milk into yolk mixture, whisking constantly.

Pour mixture into saucepan, place over medium heat, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, and whisk in cold butter. Strain into a medium bowl. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface, and let cool. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or overnight).

Make the simple syrup
Bring granulated sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and stir in liqueur or brandy. Let cool.

To assemble the cake
Place the cake ring on a 9-inch cardboard circle. Place 1 cake circle in ring, and lightly brush top with syrup. Spread jam on cake layer.

Whisk 2.5 cups cream until stiff peaks form. Cover jam with 1/2 cup whipped cream. Top with another cake circle, and brush top with syrup. Cover this circle with pastry cream. Place final cake circle on top, pressing down gently, and brush top with syrup. Spoon remaining whipped cream over cake, and smooth. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or preferably overnight).

Whisk remaining 1/2 cup cream in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Remove cake ring, and coat sides of cake with whipped cream. Refrigerate cake until cold, about 30 minutes.

Add marzipan topping
Knead a golf-ball-size piece of marzipan with a couple of drops of blue food colouring, adding more drops as needed to reach desired colour (this piece should be a few shades darker than the final). Knead half the coloured marzipan into remaining marzipan until colour is evenly distributed. (Add remaining half if needed to reach desired colour.)

On a surface dusted with confectioners' sugar, roll out marzipan to a 14-inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick. Place a doily in the center of marzipan. With the rolling pin, slowly but firmly roll over doily to create an imprint. Gently remove doily. Rub confectioners' sugar into marzipan with your fingertips to fill imprint.

Place marzipan over cake, smooth sides, and trim bottom edges. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Notes
Syrup will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 1 month. Decorated, the cake will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom