What are your favorite kind of cakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefAlexCardinale

Assistant Cook
I am a HUGE dessert lover! One of my favorite all time dessert is cake! I love all kinds of cake. My favorite kinds of cake would have to be Red Velvet with white chocolate cream cheese frosting, vanilla cake with chocolate frosting, chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting, and a cannoli cake.
So what are some of your favorite cakes?

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is one of my favorites. I recently made this yellow cake with Mexican-inspired chocolate frosting - the frosting had dark chocolate and cinnamon chips, Kahlua, vanilla extract, espresso powder and cayenne pepper, and I topped it with pumpkin and sunflower seeds. It was delicious!

Attachments

• 1441471935797.jpg
    1441471935797.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 322
I have a white cake recipe that calls for fresh strawberries on one layer, apricot filling on one layer and Swiss Cream Frosting on the next layer. The whole cake is then frosted with the Swiss Cream. It takes forever to make, but is so worth it. Tastes like wedding cake.

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is one of my favorites. I recently made this yellow cake with Mexican-inspired chocolate frosting - the frosting had dark chocolate and cinnamon chips, Kahlua, vanilla extract, espresso powder and cayenne pepper, and I topped it with pumpkin and sunflower seeds. It was delicious!

It should have won!! There were cheaters there and lousy judges!

My favorite cake. Patty cake, patty cake, bakers man, bake me a cake as fast as you can. Oh dear, there goes the mind again. But it still is my favorite cake to play with when my grandkids are just getting old enough to play it with me.

But for now, it has to be Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate, Chocolatey Cake with frosting to match. :angel:

I love a good, moist carrot cake with raisins, maybe pineapple bits, and a thick layer of cream cheese frosting.

A rich chocolate cake with dark chocolate frosting is good too. Ooh, and German chocolate cake, with the coconut frosting!

I prefer it when someone else bakes it!

Last edited:
I like em all!

In the fall I like an applesauce cake with a rum glaze.

A moist lemon cake soaked with lemon infused simple syrup when it comes out of the oven.

For a picnic I like a Wacky or Depression chocolate snack cake with white butter frosting.

At Easter I like a three layer white cake flavored with almond extract, frosted with Crisco Frosting - Recipe - Cooks.com and covered in coconut.

Sour cream pound cake that has been allowed to ripen for a few days before cutting.

and on and on and on!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

that cake looks awesome! I might try it and make it myself.

Italian Cream, Cherry Chip, Carrot and Milk.
Oh man an italian cream cake is awesome!
Homemade German Chocolate! :yum: Carrot cake is a close second.
I like a nice german chocolate cake. I do like carrot cake too.

I have a white cake recipe that calls for fresh strawberries on one layer, apricot filling on one layer and Swiss Cream Frosting on the next layer. The whole cake is then frosted with the Swiss Cream. It takes forever to make, but is so worth it. Tastes like wedding cake.
Oh man that sounds great. I am fearful of making layer cakes but I gonna have to do this one.

It should have won!! There were cheaters there and lousy judges!

My favorite cake. Patty cake, patty cake, bakers man, bake me a cake as fast as you can. Oh dear, there goes the mind again. But it still is my favorite cake to play with when my grandkids are just getting old enough to play it with me.

But for now, it has to be Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate, Chocolatey Cake with frosting to match. :angel:
haha i love the patty cake song!
i like the hershey cake too

I love a good, moist carrot cake with raisins, maybe pineapple bits, and a thick layer of cream cheese frosting.

A rich chocolate cake with dark chocolate frosting is good too. Ooh, and German chocolate cake, with the coconut frosting!

I prefer it when someone else bakes it!

It's still pretty hot here in the middle of the desert, so we're still all about the ice cream.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f45/cannoli-ice-cream-cake-91073.html
This recipe is fantastic and easy to make.
oh now we are talking. love cannolis and in ice cream cake, NICE!
I like em all!

In the fall I like an applesauce cake with a rum glaze.

A moist lemon cake soaked with lemon infused simple syrup when it comes out of the oven.

For a picnic I like a Wacky or Depression chocolate snack cake with white butter frosting.

At Easter I like a three layer white cake flavored with almond extract, frosted with Crisco Frosting - Recipe - Cooks.com and covered in coconut.

Sour cream pound cake that has been allowed to ripen for a few days before cutting.

and on and on and on!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
they all sound great... especially the easter cake. yum!

I like NY style cheesecake, white cake with a lemon curd filling, White cake w/ chocolate frosting, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting

upside down cake w/ pina, peaches, pears, sometimes a white cake and sometimes with a gingerbread cake batter, depending on the fruit used.

Speaking of, fruit cake, but only a little.

I think my favorite is sour cream coffee cake with crunchy brown sugar cinnamon topping.

Black forest gateau

A good carrot cake (perhaps with pineapple in it). Shop bought ones are often disappointing, i.e. too light and not enough carroty taste. I have an excellent recipe for carrot cake which, I guess, spoils me for other versions.

I like NY style cheesecake, white cake with a lemon curd filling, White cake w/ chocolate frosting, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting

upside down cake w/ pina, peaches, pears, sometimes a white cake and sometimes with a gingerbread cake batter, depending on the fruit used.

Speaking of, fruit cake, but only a little.

I think my favorite is sour cream coffee cake with crunchy brown sugar cinnamon topping.
NICE!
When I worked inside a restaurant and I was in charge of cakes, I made a white cake with lemon moose/custard and a cream cheese buttercream mixed with sierra mist. It was a hit and sold out the first few weeks. But unfortunately, my pastry chef made me take out the sierra mist as she thought it was overpowering but guests bought 2nds to take home. I don't know she was skinny, so maybe that explains it LOL.

Black forest gateau

A good carrot cake (perhaps with pineapple in it). Shop bought ones are often disappointing, i.e. too light and not enough carroty taste. I have an excellent recipe for carrot cake which, I guess, spoils me for other versions.
Agreed with you on the store bought carrot cakes being nasty....:sick:
Store bought red velvet cakes are hit or miss, sometimes good, sometimes just terrible.

Another favorite cake that I used to make and enjoy a couple of times a year. :(

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/date-cake-82064.html#post1193258
Date cake, sounds so familiar, oh yea my grandma made that. she loved dates. I tried it once as a kid but did not like it, wonder if I'd like it now.

My favorite cake is one that someone else baked. ;) My favorites have something chocolate about them (choco cake with buttercream icing, yellow cake with a rich chocolate icing). I'm also very happy with a nice carrot cake. And come every Easter, I miss the pound cake my Mom made in her lamb mold, frosted with fluffy white icing, and completely covered in shredded coconut. :yum:

Fortunately for us (but not our waistlines) we have a couple of grocery stores around here with bakery departments that offer really good bakery. Better than upscale-Italian-bakery-from-the-little-cafe-the-next-town-over good bakery.

Decided to treat us to dessert tonight. Picked up this torte at the grocery store - the slice was four times this size and cost $3.99. I cut it in half, and then cut one half in half. Himself and I each had a slice tonight, and we'll each have a slice tomorrow too...unless I eat it by the refrigerator light later tonight...:whistling:

Attachments

• 2015-09-05 23.45.40.jpg
    2015-09-05 23.45.40.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 294
Let me start by saying, "All of the above!".

The faves that come to mind right away are the simple chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache that's my grandson and I love.

Then there's tres leches cake that I had for the first time in a Cuban restaurant in Aruba. I came home and made it for me and now SO and others love it too.

My sister makes a light and delicious yellow cake with chocolate frosting sprinkled with chopped walnuts.

SO's carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is simple and fantastic.

I'd add cheesecake here but cheesecake is actually a type of custard pie. Since cheesecake is a pie I'll add Boston Cream Pie, which is a cake.

Back
Top Bottom