What Is Everyone's Favorite Frosting On Cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah

Head Chef
thought it would be an interesting idea to come up with your favorite frosting and share the recipe with us.some of my all time favs are:

1--CHOCOLATE BUTTER CREAM FROSTING:

1/2 cup Butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
Dash salt
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
1 tablespoon light corn syrup

1. Beat butter in medium mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy (1 to 2 minutes). Gradually add powdered sugar, cocoa and salt alternately with whipping cream and melted chocolate, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes). Stir in corn syrup.
2---CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING:

• 2 squares unsweetened chocolate ,
  • 1/2 cup milk or light cream ,
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar,
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Melt chocolate over low heat, add milk and sugar, boil until a few drops form a soft ball in cold water. Add butter and vanilla. Let stand undisturbed a few minutes, then beat until thick enough to spread. If too thick, stir in a little cream.

3---EGG LEMON FROSTING:

Ingredients:

1 c sugar
2/3 c lemon juice
2 eggs
4 egg yolks
6 tbs butter

method:

Combine sugar,lemon juice in 2-quart saucepan.Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved(1 to 2 minutes).Reduce heat to low.Beat eggs and yolks in a small bowl with wire whisk.Stir small amount of hot sugar mixture into egg mixture using wire whisk.Gradually stir egg mixture into hot sugar mixture.Continue cooking,stirring constantly,until mixture is thickened(6 to 8 minutes).Remove from heat,stir in 6 tbs butter,1 tbs at a time with wire whisk.

my absolute fave is the icing from entenmann's brownie crumb ring. it's mocha-maple frosting coated in finely crumbled brownies.

i'll see if i can find the copycat recipe.

edited: here's the closest recipe i've found to entenmann's.

mocha maple frosting

Ingredients:

3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/3 cup Pepsi-Cola
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon strong cold coffee
1/4 cup maple syrup

Combine sugar, butter, cocoa, Pepsi-Cola, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and coffee in small bowl. Beat until smooth. Spread on warm cake. you may have to add a little more powdered sugar if the frosting isn't thick enough for you. I like it to drizzle down the sides of a bundt cake.

Last edited:
The only frosting that I can stomach anymore is any of the whipped. The sugar frosting is just too sweet.

Am not sure this is the recipe I use to use (and loved) or not, but I think it is close.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting

6 ounces chocolate chips

½ cup butter (can use margarine)

½ cup to ¾ cup sifted confectioners sugar

1¼ cups peanut butter

Melt chocolate chips and butter in a double boiler. Add confectioners sugar and peanut butter and beat until smooth. Chill for about 15 minutes or until frosting is of spreading consistency – Will cover 2 8 inch layers.

buckytom said:
my absolute fave is the icing from entenmann's brownie crumb ring. it's mocha-maple frosting coated in finely crumbled brownies.

i'll see if i can find the copycat recipe.

edited: here's the closest recipe i've found to entenmann's.

mocha maple frosting

Ingredients:

3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/3 cup Pepsi-Cola
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon strong cold coffee
1/4 cup maple syrup

Combine sugar, butter, cocoa, Pepsi-Cola, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and coffee in small bowl. Beat until smooth. Spread on warm cake. you may have to add a little more powdered sugar if the frosting isn't thick enough for you. I like it to drizzle down the sides of a bundt cake.

looks yummy bucky!but where is the browny part?

oh, ok, i was just posting the frosting. the entenmann's cake is just a standard whitish/yellow cake in a bundt ring form (not sure what to call it. i'm not a baker in any sense of the word), the icing goes over it and down the sides (the best ones have icing filling the hole in the middle), then fairly dry brownies are crumbled over it, sticking to the icing.

buckytom said:
oh, ok, i was just posting the frosting. the entenmann's cake is just a standard whitish/yellow cake in a bundt ring form (not sure what to call it. i'm not a baker in any sense of the word), the icing goes over it and down the sides (the best ones have icing filling the hole in the middle), then fairly dry brownies are crumbled over it, sticking to the icing.

oh man,i'm drooling,lol....right now i'm craving for something like that!these days my all teeth r sweet instead of just one:LOL:

IcyMist said:
Am not sure this is the recipe I use to use (and loved) or not, but I think it is close.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting

6 ounces chocolate chips

½ cup butter (can use margarine)

½ cup to ¾ cup sifted confectioners sugar

1¼ cups peanut butter

Melt chocolate chips and butter in a double boiler. Add confectioners sugar and peanut butter and beat until smooth. Chill for about 15 minutes or until frosting is of spreading consistency – Will cover 2 8 inch layers.

David's 21st birthday is in a few days. EEEEKKKKK, my son is so old! He loves peanut butter so I think I'll make a white cake and then use this frosting. It sounds delish.:):chef:

I am hoping this is the one that I use to make, has been so long since I have used it. :( But it was good!!!!

I'll let ya know how we liked it. His birthday dinner isn't until the 12th so it'll be a few days.

I love (loved:( ) frosting..use to eat it right out of the can..wish Splenda would make powdered sugar..

Dove

I don't care for any frosting on birthday cakes, as I believe it was invented by dentists who needed extra cash.....

I love love love a really tart lemon sauce over either gingerbread or carrot cake. YUM!
I also like a good marzipan, rolled thin and then laid over a yellow cake that has a marmalade filling.

Oh!! Now I am so hungry!

Oh now you made me hungry for a cake that a bakery makes. It is a plain lemon cake, I think they pour lemon juice or lemon concentrate in the cake and then they drizzle a very tart lemon icing over it. Ummmmmm, the cake is the best one I have ever eaten and just a drizzle of icing. :)

That sounds so good, Icy!

Of course, now I'm rummaging through my cupboards wanting to make a lemony-something....... I also like pound cake with lemon sherbet and blueberries with warmed lemon sauce on top.

Okay, that's it....I'm cooking lemons this weekend.

Another good topping over a plain cake:

1 c. orange blossom honey
1/2 c. light cream
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp Grand Marnier

Combine all and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes or so.
Pour over pound cake and serve with a small dollop of whipped cream on top.

Invite me over please, NOW you have made me lemony hungry. ARGGG and I purchased stuff to make a lower caloried fruit trifle for Saturday. Its yummy but not a bit of lemon in it. :(

Do you have a nice neighbor with a lemon tree?

Mix some lemon juice with a bit of honey, warm it up and drizzle it over your cake in the trifle. Then add the rest of the stuff.

I get the best lemons from my parents. They have a tree that's grafted, so there's lemons, limes and lemon-limes. The last are my favorite. Also, their skin is thin and they are really juicy.

Now I want a lemon tree.

Maybe I'll go make a lemon meringue pie.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom