"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Cook
 
Number 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Following 17 and preceding 19
Posts: 69
Question What makes a carrot cake so good?

Hello


I've been crazy about this carrot cake I buy almost daily from the cafe near by.
Nothing special about the batter.
Neither the cream (where they use light sweet whipped cream instead of cream cheese frosting)

What makes it special is that what to me looks like carrot flakes.

God they're so addictive.

They don't taste like carrots.
They have a candy corn texture. (hard yet chewy)


Any ideas what are they and how to make them
because they're not just dehydrated alone. their taste make it usable for desserts only, not soups.

__________________

__________________
"Men. Heh. They just have to destroy everything."
Number 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Sous Chef
 
Silversage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 863
Usually, all you do is grate up some raw carrots and fold it into the batter. They cook to a soft consistency right in the cake.
__________________

__________________
In our house, dog hair is a condiment!
OMG! I decided to blog!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Cook
 
Number 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Following 17 and preceding 19
Posts: 69
Oh no no no.

The carrot flakes are placed around the cake after baking it over the cream (instead of using walnuts)
__________________
"Men. Heh. They just have to destroy everything."
Number 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
It is probably some type of orange candy or confection. Did you ask them what they were?
__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,337
This carrot cake recipe is extremely good. It is moist, has just the right amount of sweetness, and enough carrot taste to satisfy carrot cake "snobs."

Recipe Details

I think the oil and the pureed carrot make the difference. I've made recipes with pineapple, without the pureed carrots, but none compare with this recipe.
__________________
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Cook
 
sarahmom22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 80
I make a really good carrot cake...what makes it incredible to me is the cream cheese frosting...mmmm
__________________
Can't handle the heat? Then get out of my kitchen!
sarahmom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,167
It's funny you should bring this up today since I just took two layers of carrot cake out of the oven. My husband is not a huge chocolate fan, so I've been baking all sorts of fruit, nut, etc. kinds of cakes.

I just received my April 2011 issue of Southern Living yesterday and noticed their recipe for Layered Carrot Cake and knowing I had all the ingredients in our pantry, I decided to make it.

One of the reasons I like carrot cake is because it's so moist and the added flavor of the cinnamon is great. This one has a small amount of crushed pineapple, so I'm looking forward to a delicious cake.

The recipe also gives instructions for making the cake into cupcakes, which would be nice for tucking into your lunch.

You might want to try your hand at this cake and see if it's anything like the one you've been enjoying.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Cook
 
Number 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Following 17 and preceding 19
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
It is probably some type of orange candy or confection. Did you ask them what they were?
I though they were candy but I don't know for sure. And no because I've asked them before for another cake and hey replied that they get the food from the original factory, where it delivers every morning.

I will try to post pictures tomorrow.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
This carrot cake recipe is extremely good. It is moist, has just the right amount of sweetness, and enough carrot taste to satisfy carrot cake "snobs."

Recipe Details

I think the oil and the pureed carrot make the difference. I've made recipes with pineapple, without the pureed carrots, but none compare with this recipe.
Thank for the recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmom22 View Post
I make a really good carrot cake...what makes it incredible to me is the cream cheese frosting...mmmm



Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
It's funny you should bring this up today since I just took two layers of carrot cake out of the oven. My husband is not a huge chocolate fan, so I've been baking all sorts of fruit, nut, etc. kinds of cakes.

I just received my April 2011 issue of Southern Living yesterday and noticed their recipe for Layered Carrot Cake and knowing I had all the ingredients in our pantry, I decided to make it.

One of the reasons I like carrot cake is because it's so moist and the added flavor of the cinnamon is great. This one has a small amount of crushed pineapple, so I'm looking forward to a delicious cake.

The recipe also gives instructions for making the cake into cupcakes, which would be nice for tucking into your lunch.

You might want to try your hand at this cake and see if it's anything like the one you've been enjoying.
I will try that for sure. thanks.
__________________
"Men. Heh. They just have to destroy everything."
Number 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Do they look like these?


If they are they are simply called sprinkles, or "jimmies" to some folks, and can be ordered online.
__________________
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
I wonder if they are some sort of candied carrot, maybe in flake form. Just a guess out of thin air.
__________________

__________________
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cake, carrot

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.