When using a cake mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
What do you do to make it taste more like homemade?

Sometimes I really don't have time to drag out all the stuff for a cake but would like it to taste more like homemade. Do you have tips to accomplish this?

Depends licia.
I find some really good vanilla is great, putting a little zest in certain cake mixes helps.. adding some chocolate chips or shunks, nuts....And I love to mix frosting from scratch..it works wonders.
kades:)

Because cakes are my hobby and my business, I don't use cake mixes very often (except for cookies but that's another story altogether :LOL:). Kades, your ideas make me WANT to make a cake from a mix to see how good it tastes.

If it is a chocolate cake, try adding melting a square of baking chocolate (or 1/2 cup of chips and stirring that in, or even some cocoa. For a white cake I agree with the vanilla. Experiment with things that will heighten the flavour of your cake without changing the structure of the mix too much (making it dryer or too moist).

Just have fun!

I have the cake mix doctor book and enjoy making some of those, but sometimes I just want a yellow or white or even chocolate cake that tastes more like homemade. I find that sometimes I need a cake in a hurry and don't want it to taste like it came from a box. I'll use the suggestions here when I next use a mix. Our neighbor just had surgery and it just happened I'd made a cake and could take them some, but otherwise I'd have to make one in a hurry. Thanks for the hints.

I often add full fat, vanilla yogurt (or other flavor) to cakes to give them some snap. You could try this and swap it out for half the oil or some of the liquid.

I've added pudding mix to cake mixes to make them moister. I also add instant espresso powder to chocolate to enrich the taste.

Ditto to pudding mix. I also (GASP!) up the fat content. I often add 1/4 more butter to the batter and delete a bit of the other liquid.

You can make Rhum Butter Cake or Frangelico Butter Cake using yellow cake mix and it turns out tasting homemade. I have the recipe somewhere if you want it...but I'm traveling right now so that will take some time.

my mon sifts the mix and doesnt add the whole eggs. she separates the yokes and blends it all together then makes a marange out of the white and folds it into the mix, the result is a super fluffy cake.

oh yeah, never overbake the cake. this is what makes a dry cake in my opin, i dont think fat = moist. the key is to bake it just enough .

oh yeah, never overbake the cake. this is what makes a dry cake in my opin, i dont think fat = moist. the key is to bake it just enough .

Oil/lipids provide moisture. Not even uncommon to use mayonnaise in cakes. Applesauce is a great addition too(and healthier), just sub out applesauce for the oil.

Oil/lipids provide moisture. Not even uncommon to use mayonnaise in cakes. Applesauce is a great addition too(and healthier), just sub out applesauce for the oil.

I still use my Mom's Mayonnaise chocolate cake recipe once in awhile. It is so moist and flavourful! As for the applesauce, I find it a lot in diabetic and gluten free recipes. It is healthy, moist and flavourful!

First -- there are a couple of recipes where you melt the butter and combine it with the eggs and liquid, then mix with all the other ingredients. It's really easy, and only a couple more steps than a box mix (especially if you have a digital scale and don't have to get out the measuring cups). Just pm me if you want the recipes.

Here are a couple tips I've discovered for box mixes..

If the recipe calls for oil, replace it with melted butter. If you want a rich butter flavor, brown the butter. For each stick of butter you use, add 1-2 Tb oil. If you use less than 1 stick of butter, I'd not worry and just add 1 Tb of oil. 1 Tb of butter has less fat than 1 Tb of oil, so you need to add some extra fat.

Like other people have mentioned, add your own extracts. Vanilla for yellow/white cake, vanilla and coffee (can be instant espresso powder, dissolved in liquid) for chocolate cakes.

For the liquid, use buttermilk. Or if you want it very moist and tender, use half milk/buttermilk and half sour cream.

Last -- add ground nuts/nut butters. Almonds and hazelnuts would be great, and add a subtle depth of flavor. If using nut butter, mix into eggs so it is distributed throughout the cake and not lumpy.

Cheers,
Tim

Back
Top Bottom