Where do you get your chocolate for fine desserts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mryummy

Assistant Cook
I am increasingly studying fine French pastry and currently working on a chocolate truffle cake (see my thread in the general discussion forum). My question is where do really top patissiers get their chocolate?

The recipe calls for 70% chocolate. Usually I'd use Schaffen Berger, which as far as I know is the only widely available chocolate of quality. But is there a further extreme in quality and uniqueness that I could use in my implementation of this recipe?

I'm curious about this topic, too. Why do you like Gibraltar's even better, June?

Myself, I bought some Valrhona for my first excursion into high end chocolate and had mixed results. I've been finding out (it's an ongoing process) what works for me for different recipes, during different seasons, for me or different people. I've been getting bold and have been playing with the cocoa butter/cocoa ratio the past couple of months with my dipping chocolate with great results.

I like ghirardelli...Wally world typically sells a 4oz bar for $1.80 w/ga tax...In either 62% or 70% cocoa...I like it better than S.B., seems to taste a little more like coffee and overall has more intensity (to me)

I'm curious about this topic, too. Why do you like Gibraltar's even better, June?
Flavor.

Myself, I bought some Valrhona for my first excursion into high end chocolate and had mixed results. I've been finding out (it's an ongoing process) what works for me for different recipes, during different seasons, for me or different people. I've been getting bold and have been playing with the cocoa butter/cocoa ratio the past couple of months with my dipping chocolate with great results.
I like Valrhona. (still have trouble spelling it the "new" way) but it is very expensive, especially in comparison with Peter's, and I like Peter's better. I discovered that years ago at a blind chocolate tasting.

I like ghirardelli...Wally world typically sells a 4oz bar for $1.80 w/ga tax...In either 62% or 70% cocoa...I like it better than S.B., seems to taste a little more like coffee and overall has more intensity (to me)

Taste is a very personal thing. There is no wrong or right answer to the question of "best," in this case.

Personally, I like Scharffenberger's unsweetened for baking, very much, but not so much their other products. I don't care for Ghirardelli, except for their ground, sweet chocolate. Just my taste buds.

I am increasingly studying fine French pastry and currently working on a chocolate truffle cake (see my thread in the general discussion forum). My question is where do really top patissiers get their chocolate?

The recipe calls for 70% chocolate. Usually I'd use Schaffen Berger, which as far as I know is the only widely available chocolate of quality. But is there a further extreme in quality and uniqueness that I could use in my implementation of this recipe?

Hi Mryummy,

I live in the UK and finding 70% chocolate is not a problem. It is everywhere and in every supermarket and many a local store.

All I have to do is go to my local supermarket and read the labels on chocolate and can find lots of chocolate of 70% cocoa solids and above, and I do not live in a "rich" area, far from it! Not difficult, easy peasy and, usually I have a choice of chocolate to buy. 70% should not be that difficult to buy. So, check out the labels when buying chocolate to use in cooking.

Check out local supermarkets, deli`s, etc.

Life should not be so hard that one can`t find 70% chocolate on most street corners - you can in Europe - and if not complain to the European Parliament! Maybe it is in the USA - shouldn`t be as you are closer to the origins of chocolate than us in Europe, but then we have had to do the "define chocolate in European Legislation" argument some years ago and consequently all our chocolate has to be!

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Ghirardelli is my overall favorite also - for baking, ganaches, ice cream, etc. It yields consistently good results. When melted, the best qualities of the chocolate shine through, ie, a deep, dark chocolate taste with coffee undertones, without any harshness, and a very silky texture. I use the 60% bittersweet most often - sometimes the semi-sweet. Haven't tried the 70% yet.

Don't care for Guittard, at least the one I tried, L'Harmonie 64 % - found it very weak and bland. Have tried many types of Valrhona, and find them too tart. I've also tried many types of El Rey, and disliked all of them.

Some others I like: Scharffen Berger 70%, Santander 70%, Trader Joe's 71% Swiss, Chocovic Guaranda 71%, Fiori Sera 65%.

Back
Top Bottom