"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
Yay! Thank you Goodweed. That's exactly what I needed. You just swooped in like Superman... In and out of our lives like a dream...

I plan to infuse the cream by warming it with some lavender. Then I will re-chill it. Do you think that will break down the heavy cream molecules somehow?
No. I think the lavender will add a wonderful flavor. In the future, you could also try adding rose water, from organically, pesticide free roses that you grow yourself, of course.

No you've got me thinking, and that can be dangerous. I can think of all kinds of things to add to your stabilized whipped cream, from citrus oils (from the zest, not the acidic juice), to freshly grated nutmeg, or a bit of ginger. You could even use savory flavors for some dishes by adding spices like turmeric, or fennel, or basil. Think of it, a cinnamon-clove-nutmeg flavored whipped cream topping over fluffy, mashed sweet potatoes, with a bit of sweetener added to the whipped cream. Sounds good to me. I told you I could get dangerous when thought is provoked.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
No you've got me thinking, and that can be dangerous. I can think of all kinds of things to add to your stabilized whipped cream, from citrus oils (from the zest, not the acidic juice), to freshly grated nutmeg, or a bit of ginger. You could even use savory flavors for some dishes by adding spices like turmeric, or fennel, or basil. Think of it, a cinnamon-clove-nutmeg flavored whipped cream topping over fluffy, mashed sweet potatoes, with a bit of sweetener added to the whipped cream. Sounds good to me. I told you I could get dangerous when thought is provoked.

Great ideas! How about a rosemary olive oil cake with lemon zest whipped?

And I think for the sweet potatoes, I'd roast them in halves and top them with a dollop of your heavenly spiced whipped cream for a texture contrast. That would make yummy finger food for a holiday party, too. They would look beautiful! Only worry, the cream would hafta be sturdy to stand up to hot stuff.... Oh I know! sweet potato fries with whipped for dipping! Mmmm

Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
There are a host of stabilized whipped cream recipes on the internet. Just go to Google and type in Stabilized Whipped Cream recipes.

Stabilized whipped cream does have unflavored gelatine added to the whipped cream to keep it from collapsing into goo at room temperature. It also stands up better to humidity. It has all of the creamy lightness of whipped cream, but has a much, much longer life, and is more versatile. It can be used as frosting, fillings for cream puffs, eclaires, and pastries, or as topping for shortcakes, ice cream, etc.

Stabilized whipped cream is superior for frosting compared to whipped cream.

Here is one recipe. Enjoy.

STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM ICING
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
4 tsp. cold water
1 c. heavy whipping cream (at least 24 hours old and very cold)
1/4 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla extract
Combine gelatin and cold water in small saucepan. Let stand until thick. Place over low heat, stirring constantly just until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Whip cream, sugar and vanilla until slightly thickened. While beating slowly, gradually add gelatin to whipped cream mixture. Whip at high speed until stiff.
Yield: 2 cups
Cakes iced with whipped cream must be kept refrigerated. (This is the commercial recipe used by bakeries).

Hey, Goodweed (or anyone who knows):

Will 2 cups be enough to cover a four-layer cake?
(Two 9-inch cakes sliced into four layers.)

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #14
Master Chef

Dopn't use the whipped cream topping in-between the cake layers as the weight of the cake will collapse the whipped cream and it will just soak into the cake. Rather use a flavored butter-cream frosting or a bavarian or flavored cream filling. Spread the whipped cream frosting all over the outside then and you will have hit a home run.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Oh, I should have clarified. I plan to use a lemon scented custard between the layers, and only use the whipped for the outside.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

If you add melted marshmallows to your whipped cream they will act as stabilizers.
The cake really still needs to be refrigerated. Maybe take it in a cooler or put the whipped cream into a container and frost it when you get there.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

Thanks for the recipe, GoodWeed. I've tasted bakery cakes with that type of frosting, and liked it very much.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Most of the whipped cream frostings I prepared, involved the use of flour and butter/shortening.
Whipped cream is just the cream whipped with an added flavor like confectioner sugar or syrup/concentrated flavor.
That is the kind of frosting my daughter puts on her Red Velvet Cake, and it's wonderful!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I live in the dairy state and simply cannot find heavy cream or heavy whipping cream that is NOT ultra-pasteurized! Is it even available anymore? I assume it is ultra pasteurized to aide in the grocer's shelf life, but I want the old stuff!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Update

I used Goodweed's recipe for the whipped cream frosting and it held up perfectly. The only thing I did differently was to drop a tespoon of lavender into the heavy cream the night before I made the frosting, and added a coupla drops of purple food coloring for a subtle lavender glow. Here's the cake.. Lemon olive oil cake (4 layers) with lemon custard and lavender frosting. I wanted edible flowers but couldn't find them that day. Sorry no pics of the inside, we ate it too fast!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	3795  

Tags
None