White cake mix and a can of cherry filling....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
any one have a recipe that uses them both and not a lot of other ingredients??:)

yep. a kid i was in the 4th grade with brought it in for a Mother's Day cookbook we made. it was delicious. hang on, let me go find the cookbook.

okay. here goes:

'fast fixin' fruit 'n cake

1 pkg. duncan hines yellow cake mix or white cake mix, (not pudding type)
1 can (20-23 oz.) of your favorite pie filling (peach, cherry, blueberry, etc.)
1/4 c. oil
2 eggs
1/2 c. water
---------------------------------------------------------
preheat oven to 350. pour oil into 13x9x2 pan. put cake mix, eggs, and water into pan. stir w/ fork until blended. spread batter in pan. spoon filling onto batter. use fork to fold into batter, just enough to create a marbled effect. bake for 35-45 min.
may sprinkle w/ powderred sugar.

That sounds perfect luvs!!
I'll either try that or a dump cake if I can google up a recipe for that.

Thanks to both of you!

pdswife, here is the version that I make. If you like the recipe thicker make it in an 9x9-inch pan.

Cherry Dream Squares

1 pkg. white cake mix
1½ cup oatmeal
½ cup butter, softened
1 egg
21 oz. can cherry pie filling
½ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup packed brown sugar

Heat oven to 350˚. Grease a 13” x 9” pan. Combine cake mix, 6 tablespoons butter, and 1 cup of oatmeal. Mix until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of the crumbs for topping. To remaining crumbs add egg and mix. Press crust into pan and pour pie filling evenly over crust.

To reserved 1 cup of crumbs add remaining ½ cup oatmeal, 2 tablespoons butter, walnuts, and brown sugar. Mix and sprinkle over the cherry pie filling. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

Last edited:
So glad to see the recipe for Cherry Dream Squares. I used to make them many years ago and had completely forgotten about it. Never any left when they are taken for potluck.

Dump cake was the first thing that came to mind!

1 15 oz. can crushed pineapple
1 can cherry pie filling
1 box cake mix
1/2 cup crushed pecans (opt.)
1 stick butter melted

Instructions:
Layer ingredients in a 13" x 9" pan in order given. Drizzle melted butter over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
You can change it by using chocolate cake mix and strawberry pie filling instead of cherry, or blueberry with lemon cake mix. It is so quick and easy for instant get togethers and pot luck dinners.

Raine said:
Dump cake was the first thing that came to mind!

1 15 oz. can crushed pineapple
1 can cherry pie filling
1 box cake mix
1/2 cup crushed pecans (opt.)
1 stick butter melted

Instructions:
Layer ingredients in a 13" x 9" pan in order given. Drizzle melted butter over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
You can change it by using chocolate cake mix and strawberry pie filling instead of cherry, or blueberry with lemon cake mix. It is so quick and easy for instant get togethers and pot luck dinners.

That does sound good! Very good. I like the sound of the chocolate with strawberry.

Pineapple Inside Out Cake

1 box cake mix yellow or white
1 can pineapple slices, drained, reserve juice
1 can cherry pie filling
1/4 c light brown sugar
1 c heavy cream

Make the cake mix according to the directions, but use the pineapple juice and add milk to make the amount of "water" called for.
Prepare a 9x13 cake pan by apraying it with pan release, or greasing and flouring.
Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the top of the batter, and arrange the pineapple slices evenly over the top. Spoon the cherry pie filling with a teaspoon into the centers of the slices and in between. There should be about 1/4 of the can left over, set it aside. If you like pecans, you can scatter them over the top of the brown sugar, before adding the pineapple and pie filling--about 1 c pecan halves, or chopped.

Bake at 350 for 30 min and check for doneness. When done, cool in the pan on a rack. The fruit parts will sink into the cake during baking.

Whip the heavy cream and fold in the remaining pie filling, serve each piece of cake with a dollop and a sprinkle of toasted chopped pecans if desired.
Refrigerate leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom