"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

White Choc Fondant - Help

Hi All,

I'm attempting to make a white chocolate fondant (lava cake) for my girl for valentine's. Being a prepared cook, I try to do untested recipes in advance. Ive had a few troubles with this one, so Ive tried it a few times now! I'm wondering if anyone has experience with fondants and can offer some advice?

The recipe comes from here;
https://sortedfood.com/recipe=2046

Per the recipe, I made the batter and froze it for a minimum of 4 hours. I cooked it on a tray in the middle of the oven for 15 mins at 180C. When I took it out of the oven, I rested it for 4 mins. I then tried to turn it out of the mould. The bottom half of the cake came out, with the top remaining in the mould. The "lava" flowed all over the plate.

Tonight, I made a second batch. I took extra care to grease the moulds with butter, and I put plain flour in there as well (there's discrepancies between the youtube and printed recipe - this is one of them). I have two moulds, so I cooked two.

The first I did for 20 minutes (4 mins rest). It came out of the mould easily. When I cut it in half, it was mostly cake, with only a tiny bit molten in the middle.

So I had my upper and lower limits. 15 mins, not enough. 20 mins, too much. So I cooked the second for 17 mins (4 mins rest). Again, the same result as the original batch - the bottom half came out, the top half stayed in, and the lava went everywhere. Ive attached a photo (I added the sauce to taste the components together prior to taking the photo).

It seems to me like the base is cooking pretty well, and the "walls" of the cake are not cooking as well. In the photo, you can see that the sides of the cake arent terribly well cooked (which is likely why it lacked the strength to come out of the mould).

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Alf

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	22573  

Old 02-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
Head Chef

How deep is your mold? It looks kind of deep in the picture. Most of the lava cakes I've seen are fairly shallow, maybe 2-1/2" or so at most. The ones I have and have successfully made lava cakes in are only about 2" deep are fluted and flare outward from top to bottom (once unmolded).

You might also try lining the bottoms with a small circle of parchment paper. Don't use wax paper, it leaves a funny taste IMHO.

Tags
other