Who eats fruitcake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a kid my grandma always made fruit cake and she soaked hers with brandy..I use to shudder when she did the stuff..I was always asked to taste it and how I liked it...YUK I hated brandy fruit cake and the brandy soaked dates a friend use to give my folks...But, then I discovered panatone and that I love to make and eat...Now that I'm older I will on occasion have a bite of fruit cake, but only a bite, but I don't hate the brandy anymore:LOL: and those dates...:pig:

kadesma

U make ur own pannetone?? oh yeah! i just ate a peice of shop one for breakfast lol. Is your recipe on the DC site anywhere? For some reason I've never heard of anyone making one, probably because there are so many different ones in the stores it makes u dizzy :LOL:

Some were meant to keep the front door from hitting you in the rear as you enter the foyer...
Some were meant to be enjoyed with a nice glass of port and a really great cheese.

Usually, you can tell the door stoppers by the unusually dyed indescribables encased within.

Indeed, a good and well made fruit cake is a wonderful thing.

oh yeah, fruit cake is pretty darn tasty IF it's home-made and not store-bought.

but the real irresistible tasty treats are my g'ma's fruit cake COOKIES. wow, they are soooooo good. they're a soft-style cookie (not hard & crunchy), filled with all the nuts & dried fruits you'd expect in fruit cake, suspended in a richly spiced batter. just super on their own, but KILLER with egg nog!

;)I like it if it doesn't have the candied fruit in it I cant stand that stuff tastes artificial or something.At a tiny little bakery I worked at about 27 years ago we made them with nuts and real dried fruit after baking them we poked holes in them and pour some sort of liquor in them I think it was something along Grand Marnier or Amaretto.Now that was a good fruit cake.We made them in loaves and sold out immediatly.

sounds delicious. Did you get the recipe? Is the bakery still around and if so do they mail their fruitcakes?

U make ur own pannetone?? oh yeah! i just ate a peice of shop one for breakfast lol. Is your recipe on the DC site anywhere? For some reason I've never heard of anyone making one, probably because there are so many different ones in the stores it makes u dizzy :LOL:
I use to make it when my DH bought me a bread maker one Christmas..Now the recipe and the bread maker have gone on the their rewards. The recipe I have is okay, I haven't even tried making it..I found a wonderful panettone with fruit and one with chestnuts in the Williams Sonoma catalogue several years ago and if we want panettone for toast or bread pudding I send for WS to get theirs.
kadesma

sounds delicious. Did you get the recipe? Is the bakery still around and if so do they mail their fruitcakes?
:)Im afraid the bakery no longer exists it was a tiny bakery I dont have the recipe but I think the reason it was so good it didnt have the candied stuff in in.Will hafto do a search and see if I can find something similar.Mind you that was over 27 years ago.

:)Im afraid the bakery no longer exists it was a tiny bakery I dont have the recipe but I think the reason it was so good it didnt have the candied stuff in in.Will hafto do a search and see if I can find something similar.Mind you that was over 27 years ago.

Don't you know that is why it was so good! Not artificial, never heard of artificial trees as much as we do now. Always things were REAL. Thank goodness, for your memories jpmc.

My sister loves fruitcake. I can take it or leave it. I've had some pretty aweful ones before. If they stay moist, they are good but when they dry out it is like eating wood!

Am not really a baker and don't personally care for fruitcake. But we order several from the Collin Street Bakery every year for friends and relatives. They really seem to love it.

Have tried fruitcake many times and it just doesn't make me happy.

To each his own.

Am not really a baker and don't personally care for fruitcake. But we order several from the Collin Street Bakery every year for friends and relatives. They really seem to love it.

Have tried fruitcake many times and it just doesn't make me happy.

To each his own.

Should order one for Andy M, no one gives him any and he definately wants one :)

Fruitcakes are great if you serve them with a cream chantilly, add in the cream some candied fruits that you have soak for 2 hours in bourbon or brandy.

I like the traditional English fruit cake which just has raisins, currants, sultanas, and almonds (and a few candied cherries), topped with marzipan and sugar paste. I really dislike those sweet, sticky fruit cakes you get over here with all the candied melon and pineapple and whatever.

I make three Christmas cakes every year with my mother-in-law's recipe, and there's no candied melon or pineapple or any of that yucky stuff - and the cakes are popular with quite a few Americans who thought they hated fruit cake.

I like the traditional English fruit cake which just has raisins, currants, sultanas, and almonds (and a few candied cherries), topped with marzipan and sugar paste. I really dislike those sweet, sticky fruit cakes you get over here with all the candied melon and pineapple and whatever.

I make three Christmas cakes every year with my mother-in-law's recipe, and there's no candied melon or pineapple or any of that yucky stuff - and the cakes are popular with quite a few Americans who thought they hated fruit cake.

Sounds like you have a good one. Is your mother-in-law's recipe considered fruit cake? Could you share the recipe? Thanks

I do not like fruitcake. lol. I reallly really do not like fruitcake, I have TRIED to like it, every other year or so my dad gets sent some fruitcakes as gifts and I try it everytime, but I do not like it. The ones I have tasted and full of raisins and dry cake. Maybe if they were more more moist, and LESS raisins, citrus zest, some apricots,it would taste better. I think I would like it, if they were a little more like the latter. Maybe I just need to find a good quality fruitcake!

I have become very nostalgic about Christmas fruit cake because we have been living in Germany for 6 years. English style fruitcake is not a tradition here.

Mel

Shama that's it! You just need to get a GOOD fruitcake.
I'd send you some of my Dad's. But I'll probably eat all that he gives me!

Back
Top Bottom