Who eats fruitcake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do not like fruitcake. lol. I reallly really do not like fruitcake, I have TRIED to like it, every other year or so my dad gets sent some fruitcakes as gifts and I try it everytime, but I do not like it. The ones I have tasted and full of raisins and dry cake. Maybe if they were more more moist, and LESS raisins, citrus zest, some apricots,it would taste better. I think I would like it, if they were a little more like the latter. Maybe I just need to find a good quality fruitcake!

You should really try one from Collin Street Bakery. They will ship anywhere. They are DELICIOUS!. They have the traditional and other varieties. They do have one with apricots also.

I am going to order a fruitcake from this group. I have ordered on already and have it 'marinating' in fridge. I bought one from this group, College of the Ozarks and it is hardly bigger than a Hostess Cupcake. It is supposedly 2lbs. but disappointed about the size. The ones from your website look much bigger and cost about same price. I probably will not get before Christmas but sure looks good. May take me till middle of January before I can have it marinated the way I want it.

Thanks for sharing this site with us. Guess no one has tried it as there weren't any response to it or did I miss it?

Add me to the "good" fruitcake lovers. I, too, have and old recipe where the fruit is soaked in alcohol (this year, Gentlemen Jack) for a couple of days before adding all the nuts, etc. It has been wrapped in GJ soaked cheesecloth and foil since before Thanksgiving, of course adding more GJ, weekly.
I am so looking forward to Christmas Eve, when we have our first tastes.

We like fruitcake, but it must be a homemade one and made right. I can see from some cakes why they have such a bad reputation. I agree with UB that they most be made early and with the right ingredients - not cakey but filled with fruit and nuts. We don't use raisins, currants or fruit mix, citron, etc in ours - only cherries, pineapple and lots of pecans. I didn't make them this year since dh is trying to keep his glucose level in check. I will make fruitcake squares which are delicious, but not as sweet. I hate all the jokes about fruitcake and think it must be easier to find one thing to ridicule - and it doesn't take much talent to do that.

I am going to order a fruitcake from this group. I have ordered on already and have it 'marinating' in fridge. I bought one from this group, College of the Ozarks and it is hardly bigger than a Hostess Cupcake. It is supposedly 2lbs. but disappointed about the size. The ones from your website look much bigger and cost about same price. I probably will not get before Christmas but sure looks good. May take me till middle of January before I can have it marinated the way I want it.

Thanks for sharing this site with us. Guess no one has tried it as there weren't any response to it or did I miss it?

I was not aware of any connection between College of the Ozarks and Assumption Abbey.

I was not aware of any connection between College of the Ozarks and Assumption Abbey.

The connection is that I had ordered a fruitcake already this year from the College of the Ozarks. However, you suggested Assumption Abbey and the connection was the address. They are both located in Missouri. I was not aware that Missouri had any people that produced fruitcakes on large scale. Assumption Abbey in Ava, Missouri. College of the Ozarks also Missouri.

Sorry if I did not clarify this in my original post.

The connection is that I had ordered a fruitcake already this year from the College of the Ozarks. However, you suggested Assumption Abbey and the connection was the address. They are both located in Missouri. I was not aware that Missouri had any people that produced fruitcakes on large scale. Assumption Abbey in Ava, Missouri. College of the Ozarks also Missouri.

Sorry if I did not clarify this in my original post.

I understand now.

I did not know that College of the Ozarks sold fruitcakes. I just heard about Assumption Abbey this year on my local public radio station.

I'm going to make this. It might not be until after the holidays, but I'm going to make it anyway. I'll get the stuff for it this week.

Sounds like you have a good one. Is your mother-in-law's recipe considered fruit cake? Could you share the recipe? Thanks

I've already posted it but the system isn't letting me post a URL to the thread. If you can find the ISO Fruit Cake thread, it's post 8 (I think) and is from back in June.

No Bake Fruit Cake

I posted a recipe on this board quite a while ago. (5 Apr 2005)
It is a "NO BAKE" made with Graham Crackers, fruits and nutz.
I quit putting any booze in it (and me) in 1978. To me, it's still a winner.

Enjoy

Last edited:
I think that the thing most people don't like is the citron that many recipes call for. Load it up with cherries, pineapple and other good stuff. Leave out the citron.
I totally agree. Citron is nasty stuff.
I also agree with the poster who commented on the amount of 'cake' in fruitcake. There should only be enough batter to stick the fruit, dates and pecans together.
my 2¢,
donna

Back
Top Bottom