Who eats fruitcake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
Am I the only dork that actually LIKES fruitcake?
My Dad has always made an awesome one, and I feel like a freak when I see commercials and such about people "re-gifiting" and taking offense to recieving a fruitcake from someone.
Please tell me there's someone else out there....

I used to really love fruitcakes but they went on the banned list when I was dialysing. Now that I'm allowed them again, I haven't been able to enjoy the flavour again. I bought one only a month ago - a light fruit cake - and after one little slice, I had to give it away. Maybe one day, I'll be able to eat them again. Same thing happened with me and bananas.

I always thought the fruit cake was the best bit of a wedding!!

My Dad makes one soaked in Bourbon..... maybe thats why I like it so much!!!

I enjoy fruit cake. I have my grandmother's version, and even people who say they don't like fruit cake enjoy it. I have eaten some cakes that I didn't like however. Mostly the ones with an in ingredient list that fills up the page.........So, no Miss Suzi you are not the only one........

Hush now!! Don't give away the secrets...:ermm:

:LOL:

Oops sorry! Wouldn't want all the fruitcake to disappear!
MMM I think I should make some bourbon balls today...... a great way to sneak in a drink at noon!

Mum's is always full of brandy or whisky or rum or sherry...

I thought Brandy would be good too. I put that in the Hard Sauce tho..... Can't have too much I suppose.
Ok yes you can.

I am of the opinion that the (fruit) cakes improves with age. My Christmas fruit cake was made the week before Thanksgiving. It is kept tightly wrapped and once a week a little "moisture":ermm: is added, and wrapped back up!;)

Fun!!

You must be makin cake w/ my Dad Uncle B..... Sounds exactly the same!
I haven't bothered to make my own, I always get half of his and end up eating it myself, the rest of my crew here don't like it. I must have adopted them and forgot.
Imagine me alone with a WHOLE bourbon soaked fruitcake......

I'm a big fan of fruitcake. I wish someone would give me one but no one buys fruitcake as gifts anymore.

Well maybe I should attempt to single-handedly bring back the fruitcake gifting and make it cool again!!

As a kid my grandma always made fruit cake and she soaked hers with brandy..I use to shudder when she did the stuff..I was always asked to taste it and how I liked it...YUK I hated brandy fruit cake and the brandy soaked dates a friend use to give my folks...But, then I discovered panatone and that I love to make and eat...Now that I'm older I will on occasion have a bite of fruit cake, but only a bite, but I don't hate the brandy anymore:LOL: and those dates...:pig:

kadesma

now you're not the only one that likes fruit cakes. BUT, and that's a big but, that's if they're made right. they can be simply awful

You're right, and I am spolied, my parents always made very good food. There are things that are just not good if they aren't made with good stuff.

Kades do you have a pannetone (sp?) recipe? I keep meaning to look for one. I want to make french toast with it, and something I saw Giada make once on FN..... but I can't remember what it was. :wacko:

;)I like it if it doesn't have the candied fruit in it I cant stand that stuff tastes artificial or something.At a tiny little bakery I worked at about 27 years ago we made them with nuts and real dried fruit after baking them we poked holes in them and pour some sort of liquor in them I think it was something along Grand Marnier or Amaretto.Now that was a good fruit cake.We made them in loaves and sold out immediatly.

Back
Top Bottom