Whoopie cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
I recently went to a wine tasting dinner in Washington and one of the participants had driven down from Maine with 50 whoopie pies for dessert.

This was the source of much joking...

Is this a regional speciality?

The cake tasted like the cream cake version of an oreo cookie. Not really my thing, but I always like to try something like that once.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Oh Alex...THIS is why I am in the business I am in today.

My mother was the QUEEN of whoopies on the west coast and I use her TNT recipe to this day (and have added a few extra special touches, to make it unique) in my gourmet stuffed dessert business.

Also known as Gobs in other parts of the country, they are little pillows of heaven (and about a bazillion calories...). Chocolate cake "stuffed" with a creamy, sugary goop of goodness...mmmm mmmm mmmmmmmmmmm.

My business name and idea stemmed from this very item and has expanded into much more (stuffed cupcakes, cookies, fruits, brownies, chocolates, truffles, just about anything), but this is why I am what I am today.

Another great source of whoopies is from wicked whoopies (although I do believe my mothers are far more superior).

Here is a little history on the whoops...

Whoopie Pie, Whoopie Pie History and Recipe

There is one particular manufacturer in Maine that is world famous for those darn whoopie pies. I bet they were from there. I can't remember the name, because I can't stand them myself.

Edited to add These are the folks -- WICKED WHOOPIES

My co-workers are nuts for them. You used to be able to get them at Shaw's supermarkets here, but now Shaw's makes their own and they are not as good (they had a whoopie pie party last Friday).

Luckily, you can order them on the internet.

Last edited:
My favoarite farmer at the Union Square Greenmarket has a daughter who's a fine baker, and during the "non-growing" season, she bakes to fill up their booth... makes both the traditional chocolate and also pumpkin whoopie pies... I thought (so do they) that they are a Pa Dutch tradition. No? :ermm:

Yes, that is their origins, although the recipe has its variations (marshmallow fluff as a base for the center...yuck) there are many different interpertations to these delightlful little snack cakes.

I for one do many different flavors of cakes and complimentary fillings, and some of mine are fully dipped in chocolate (white, dark, milk...caramel like the apples and so on). Someday, oh someday when I am rich and famous (and have figured out a good shipping method) I will also offer up my delectable desserts online for the world to eat!! Until then, you all must travel to the coast of OR and catch me in my kitchens...:chef:

Back
Top Bottom