"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 06-22-2004, 11:37 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Why do my cakes always puff up in center?

please help me , why does my cakes always puff up in center when i always make sure batter is even in pan. thanks for any help given .

betty-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to RAYT721

Betty: I am not really much into baking so I will leave your questions for one of the many pros. What kind of pan(s) do you use... metal, glass, etc? Are you making cakes from scratch or mixes??? I noticed this is your first post so I wanted to say WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!! /rayt721

Don't wait for your ship to come in ... Swim out to meet it!
RAYT721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:39 AM   #3
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to thier1754
Even the pros get a "hump" in the middle. It's my understanding that it's actually a good sign. If you want a flat cake, just slice that hump off.

Here's a cute cake recipe I found:

Preheat oven, get out utensils and ingredients.
Remove blocks and toy autos from table.
Grease pan, crack nuts.
Measure two cups flour;
Remove baby's hands from flour, wash flour off baby.
Remeasure flour.
Put flour, baking powder, salt in sifter.
Get dustpan and brush up pieces of bowl baby knocked on floor.
Get another bowl.
Answer doorbell.
Return to kitchen.
Remove baby's hands from bowl.
Wash baby.
Answer phone.
Remove 1/4 inch salt from greased pan.
Look for baby.
Grease another pan.
Answer telephone.
Return to kitchen and find baby.
Remove baby's hands from bowl.
Take up greased pan, find layer of nutshells in it.
Head for baby, who has fled, knocking bowl off table.
Wash kitchen floor, table, wall, dishes.
Call baker.
Lie down.
"I'm that fond o' my fiddle, I could sit in the inside o't, an' look oot."-- Peter Milne, famous Scot fiddler
thier1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:27 AM   #4
Senior Cook
I am far more "the Cook" rather than a "baker" (scientific formulations) However I know a lady that is Very Proficient in Cake baking. I will Inquire. and send any advice. :D Atomic Jed!
Atomic Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:48 AM   #5
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
The "hump " depends on the type of cake usually. Sponge cakes, that use air and egg whites for raising don't normaly develop the hump, but butter cakes etc do. I made some mini carrot cakes today, and they really rose in the middle, they looked like tee pees!!! I expect the bicarbonate of soda in the recipe did that. Next time I will omit and use self raising flour instead, as it should give it a more even rise. You can also try reducing the temperature of the oven.

Thier is right, if the hump bothers you, cut it off and frost the cake to disguise it.
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
Senior Cook
All laened baked items puff up in the center for a simple, basic reason:

As the heat forms a crst before the center is heated, the buubles of gas (air and/or CO2) have not then expanded fully. As the heat penetrates the center, those gasses expand, but the edges of the crust are restraiened by the sides. The unrestricted top is free to move under the pressure of the expanding gasses. So it "billows" much like a sail in the wind, only upward.

If the oven temp is too high, the outside of the cake will crust too soon, and that will cause the "dome" to be higher. In extreme cases the top may even rpture. However, too low a temp will allow the gasses to escape through the uncrsted top, and result in a heavy cake.

The only way to avoid it would be to put a lid on the batter - but the cake would become something of a hockey-puck.

[Note that commercial Sandwich Bread loaves are an exception - a carefully measured amount of dough is baked in a closed pad, causing the bread to just fill the "box" when rising during the baking process. Too much dough, would result in a heavy loaf, too little in an unfilled pan - so it is a ticklish operation.]
oldcoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:10 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

thanks for the welcome to the forum. i guess iam doomed to have puffy middle cakes. family has not complained just so they have cake they dont care.i use medal pans for sheet and layer cakes and they all puff in middle, still taste good that is all that matters. thanks for all the info. all help is good to get thanks again. betty
betty-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:13 PM   #8
Head Chef
Betty the taste is what's imortant, anyway, and besides - isn't that's what icing for? To even out the layers????
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
Go to Michael's craft store and in the baking section they sell "magic strips". they are soaked in hot water and applied around the cake pan. It prevents the "hump", cakes come out perfect.
exactly150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
Cake batter in a cake pan rises as the batter heats. The bubbles expand until the batter is cooked through and hardens (sets), stopping the rising process. Because the edges of the cake set first, they stop rising first. The center heats up more slowly so it keeps rising after the edges have set.

The strips mentioned keep th edges of the pan and cake cooler so they set more slowly and it keeps rising along with the center.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote