"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #11
Head Chef

Marmalady-

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the recipe!!! This is the first time I've made frosting that requires any kind of cooking. I will use this recipe over and over. My whole family loved it because it wasn't too sweet.

I made a double batch and found that I didn't have enough. The first batch didn't turn out very good. I let the flour mixture cool down w/o constantly stirring it and so it got kind of hard on the top. So when I mixed w/the butter mixture, there were little tiny chunkies in it. When I had to make the second double batch, I constantly stirred the flour mixture and didn't have little chunkies in it.

Again, thank you!!!

Old 06-11-2006, 05:54 AM   #12
Executive Chef

You're most welcome! We like it too, because it's not that cloying sweetness. And you can flavor/color this however you want. The chocolate addition is great. And yeah, when I first made it I did the same thing w/the flour mixture that you did. Took a time or two to get it right.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
If you can't guarantee that this cake will be kept adequately cool until just about serving time, you don't want to prepare any icing (or filling) with butter, or eggs, or milk, or cream cheese. You're risking melting at least and food poisoning at most.
First of all, I don't think food poisoning is very likely from a frosting that's been out a few hours. I have never known anyone to get sick from eating cream or butter that was a little sour.

And incidentally, you're wrong about buttercream, which like Ganache, and other fat/sugar heavy products does NOT need to be refrigerated, and will not go bad at room temperature. Bacteria need water to grow, and large amounts of sugar and fat bind the water molecules making bacterial growth impossible. Look at the truffles you buy at any candy store. They are stored at room temperature for days and even weeks, and they don't go bad, even though the ganache is made from cream and butter.

If you want to make the buttercream more resistant to heat, then you'll have to use a shortening based recipe. Shortening is inferior to butter in terms of texture and taste, but its higher melting point makes it more resilient in the heat.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #14
Senior Cook

htc... sounds like a kid's B'day party???? I'd make cookies as I have found that kids eat off the frosting and throw away the cake. OR they make a big mess of both and do not eat it. Save yourself some grief!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

On storing

Hello Marmalady,

I've read more than a few online recipes for buttercream frostings that are designed to hold up in warm humid weather. I noticed that your French Cream Frosting recipe is reduced sugar and fat but seems to yield comparable amounts of frosting to the others. Smart, and thanks very much for sharing! I'm looking forward to trying your recipe and wonder if it can be refrigerated, or better yet frozen without affecting quality?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:50 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I've never frozen the icing, but have kept it in the fridge for 2 weeks or so w/out any problems. I think the flour/milk paste/mixture, along with the combination of butter/shortening, is what stabilizes the frosting, allowing it to sit out longer at room temp. And I do love the fact that it's not too, too sweet the way many frostings are.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

More on storage

I'll certainly refrigerate some in that case. Thanks again for the recipe.

Tags
None