Wilton Icing Sculptor Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E31A21B-475A-BAC0-51A3CBEF4593810B

I used my icing sculptor for the first time today. I haven't decided whether or not I like this tool. Here is what I have experienced so far, incase anyone is interested in how it works.

Instructions & product design: :neutral:
This didn't rate very highly with me. The instructions werent very clear (at least to me). It said "Assemble sculptor holder with security clips on sides" What this really meant was that I should have partially popped out one of the sides. I kept trying to force the whole piece out but it never could come out so I am just assuming it doesn't come all the way out.

Actual product::neutral:
The combs don't fit as well as they should into the sculptor holder. Each comb has ridges so you can adjust the height of each individual comb, but the ridges don't always catch the guard, so you have to make sure the combs are all at the same length if you want to be exact with depth of your designs.

Ease of use: :( So far this hasn't worked very well. When I used the sculpting tool, several of the comb or design pieces fell out.

Summary: I will try this tool again because I think several things could have influenced todays outcome. Mainly that I used a whipped cream frosting (just whipping cream, cocoa powder, sugar). I wanted to use this first with the rational being that since the texture is a bit softer than other frostings, it would be easiest to use. I could be wrong. I will use it again with buttercream frosting and amend this review if needed.
===========
If anyone else has this tool and used it with success, I'd love to hear about it. I think maybe I did something wrong?? It looks like it'd be a great and easy to use tool. Thanks!!:)

HTC, I have an icing comb that I used often that is similar to this Wilton tool, but different, and based on your review, probably better. It's plastic, triangular in shape and each side has a different ridge pattern.

It works well, once you find the technique that works best for you. Do you use a rotating decorating stand when you do your cakes? This made a big difference for me with the comb. Rotate the stand, not the comb, moving it in a relatively fast but definitely consistent motion/speed. That way you'll get an even pattern around your entire cake. I hold the comb in front of me at about a 60 degree angle (maybe? I'm not good judging that sort of thing) in my right hand. I take my left hand and cross it over so that it's to the right of my right hand and rotate the cake stand counter-clockwise until my left hand is back in front of me (and to the left of my right hand). Boy! It's easier to picture in my head than it is to explain!

What it comes down to, for me at least, is 1. practice makes perfect to just get used to how it feels and how you need to move and 2. a fluid motion start to finish is most important.

Just my 2 cents! I definitely like the sounds of my solid triangle better than the Wilton product. Wilton makes a lot of really good products but I've found things that don't wow me either. :)

Hi PA, I also have the trianle that you are talking about. I think mine is a really old model because it's aluminum or steele (something silver :) ) I was interested in this comb thing because it offered a chance to use a lot more variety in terms of the different patterns.

As for a cake stand, I have my own make-shift one that works very well. My pizza pan :LOL: . I put my cake on there and when I need to rotate, the pizza pan rotates perfectly. I will try this product again. If it still sucks on the second try with buttercream frosting, I'm going to give up and go back to the triangle.

I have just tried the Wilting Icing Sculptor for the 2nd time and am still not liking it. I will not be using it again. This time I used butter cream frosting. I will stick to the old fashioned triangle comb.

i recently bought one off of ebay, i agree, it sucks!. the sculpting pieces fall out and i do not get very difined designs. :(

There should be a product reviews section. The best thing to do before purchasing cooking gadgets (and most other products) is to find reviews by those who have purchased them. You can avoid wasting money and needless hassles. Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom