Yellow Cake Egg Batter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warwick.hoy

Assistant Cook
Questions: Yellow Cake Egg Batter

So I'm following a very simple egg batter recipe for some cup cakes. It calls for 8 eggs. 1 cup Sugar. 1 cup cake flour. and 1 tsp of Creme of tartar.

I'm not sure what to expect from this batter. I've never seen one that was mostly egg. Any thoughts or opinions.

What should I expect?
How will it taste?
Will I wind up with a big pan of scrambled eggs?

Last edited:
egg batter

Either I followed it wrong or I just don't like this batter, but they came out too chewy and dense.

I'll have to move onto a different recipe

8 eggs do seem to be a lot. I made a yellow cake just yesterday which called for 2 eggs for a nine inch square. It's really nice and rich. Do you want the recipe?

Essiebunny said:
8 eggs do seem to be a lot. I made a yellow cake just yesterday which called for 2 eggs for a nine inch square. It's really nice and rich. Do you want the recipe?

I'd love it. I'm just starting on my baking skills so the more recipes I can try the better.

It would appear to be a sponge cake recipe - with 2 eggs more than usual - 6 eggs would be better or add 1/2 c more flour

1. Separate romm temperature eggs.
2. sift flour.
3. whip the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form
4. Gradually add 1/2 sugar and beat until stiff
5. Add the egg yolks to other half sugar and beat 5 min until thick, fluffy and light coloured (when the beaters are raised, the batter will fall back into the bowl in a slow ribbon).
6. beat in the vanilla [opt], liquid [opt], and lemon zest [opt].
7. Gently fold a little of the whites into the yolk batter to lighten it, Sift dry ingredients over the batter and fold into mixture. Add remaining whites, folding just until incorporated. Do not over mix.
8. Pour into the tube pan
9. Bake in preheated oven for 30 - 35 min.
10. Remove and immediately invert just like a chiffon cake. This sponge cake structure is very delicate. If tube pan does not have feet then place on top of a bottle or bowl. Cool for at least one hour before unmolding.
11. carefully and invert the cake onto a greased wire rack.

Last edited:
Rich Golden Cake

Grease and flour 2 8" layers or a 9" square pan

Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Add 1/2 cup soft shortening

Pour in a little
over half of 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tsp. vanilla

Beat 2 minutes

Add remaining
milk and 2 eggs

Beat 2 minutes

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.
Cool in pan 10 minutes and turn out on rack to cool.
It's ready to put on frosting.

All this is done directly in mixer bowl. It makes a nice, rich cake.
I don't know where I got this, but it is good.

If you want the directions for the larger oblong cake or 2 9" layers, let me know.

I may get shot (ducking for cover:unsure:) for admitting this but I've never created or tasted a yellow cake that was better than Duncan Hines butter recipe yellow cake mix and I really see no need to try and reinvent the wheel. :angel:

I may get shot (ducking for cover:unsure:) for admitting this but I've never created or tasted a yellow cake that was better than Duncan Hines butter recipe yellow cake mix and I really see no need to try and reinvent the wheel. :angel:

Read a standard recipe for yellow cake, :chef:

then read the ingredients list on the Duncan Hines box.
vomit-smiley-011.gif

If that doesn't give you cause to "reinvent the wheel", nothing will.

Read a standard recipe for yellow cake, :chef:

then read the ingredients list on the Duncan Hines box.
vomit-smiley-011.gif

If that doesn't give you cause to "reinvent the wheel", nothing will.

Yes they can get their hands on specialty ingredients that we can't get but then that's why the cake is good.

I have a recipe for a chocolate mousse that is so good it's insane; I got the recipe from a cousin that works in the kitchen of a restaurant in the French Quarter. I have to special order the ingredients to make it but it's worth it.

Chocolate Mousse

Step #1
1/2-cup butter
1/4-cup strong brewed coffee (you could sub instant)
1/4-cup water
1 cup Polydextrose
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Erythritol
3/4-cup Dutch Cocoa

In a medium saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil, whisking constantly. Continue whisking and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Step #2
3eggs

Place 3 eggs in a blender and turn blender on. While blender is running pour the hot chocolate mixture slowly into blender and blend well. Pour into a medium size bowl; cover with plastic wrap and chill.

Step #3
2 cups heavy cream

Beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Stir 1/4 of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Then fold the lightened chocolate mixture into the remainder of the whipped cream. Place in a covered container or individual dessert dishes. Cover and chill overnight before serving.

Back
Top Bottom