Yule Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great Christmas dessert, as it serves also as the centerpiece first. Traditionally mushrooms are made with merengue, tho, not marzipan.

I use the recipe in Julia Child's "The Way to Cook." Always get RAVES!

I have made a buche de noel with meringue mushrooms and the extra ones I served as cookies (they were lightly dusted with cocoa) alongside in a wooden basket. They looked really cute!

Great Christmas dessert, as it serves also as the centerpiece first. Traditionally mushrooms are made with merengue, tho, not marzipan.

I use the recipe in Julia Child's "The Way to Cook." Always get RAVES!

oh I have that book ! I will have to look it up and use that recipe.

I have made a buche de noel with meringue mushrooms and the extra ones I served as cookies (they were lightly dusted with cocoa) alongside in a wooden basket. They looked really cute!

Do you prepare meringue mushroooms also or do you buy them directly in a shop?:ermm:I don't think it's easy to prepare home made merengue mushrooms...:glare:

Do you prepare meringue mushroooms also or do you buy them directly in a shop?:ermm:I don't think it's easy to prepare home made merengue mushrooms...:glare:

Actually, Arwen, making the merengue mushrooms is very easy. In the Holiday Treasures class I used to teach every single December, sometimes even twelve-year-olds would make them! If you have a good mixer to whip up your egg whites easily, then you can even use a sandwich baggie to pipe them out.

The only thing to watch out for is too much humidity in the air. That makes them sticky.

Actually, Arwen, making the merengue mushrooms is very easy. In the Holiday Treasures class I used to teach every single December, sometimes even twelve-year-olds would make them! If you have a good mixer to whip up your egg whites easily, then you can even use a sandwich baggie to pipe them out.

The only thing to watch out for is too much humidity in the air. That makes them sticky.
Oh I see... the problem that it's raining and raning so the air is really wet!!!:(

ChefJune, where did you use to teach? I have taken classes locally at the Western Reserve School of Cooking and with caterers at local schools. It is one of my favorite ways to relax.

PieSusan, I taught every Tuesday evening (and some Fridays as well as Saturday days) from 1985 to 1995 at the Boston Center for Adult Education.

I taught in a whole lot of other places around the US, as well, but that was my longest, most continuous place.

Did you see the throwdown with Francois Payard and Bobby Flay? The one where they made buche de noel--Francois Payard's was amazing!!! Bobby keeps going to the maple walnut flavors--he is getting too predictable.

Did you see the throwdown with Francois Payard and Bobby Flay? The one where they made buche de noel--Francois Payard's was amazing!!! Bobby keeps going to the maple walnut flavors--he is getting too predictable.

I didn't see that. I love Francois and he makes amazing pastry. I cannot imagine even Bobby having the balls to challenge him. He is SO not a baker. To tell you the truth, I know "Booby Flea" from New York chef circles, and find him on the obnoxious side. I prefer to NOT watch him on TV. :wacko:

Bobby Flay has come a long way since his early days on the Food Network. He could not speak at first and needed a foil. For someone trained at the French Culinary, I would expect him to have a wider range of flavors to be able to experiment with but he seems stuck in his preferred little bubble. I find him to be boring and predictable. However, I know folks who have been to his restaurant and loved the food. I also loved how when he opened up the place in Vegas, he cooked for the contractors and workers. He was wonderfully generous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom