"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Yule Log

Yule Log - Buche de Noel with Marzipan Mushrooms

__________________

__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Great Christmas dessert, as it serves also as the centerpiece first. Traditionally mushrooms are made with merengue, tho, not marzipan.

I use the recipe in Julia Child's "The Way to Cook." Always get RAVES!
__________________

__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: N.E., Ohio
Posts: 1,644
I have made a buche de noel with meringue mushrooms and the extra ones I served as cookies (they were lightly dusted with cocoa) alongside in a wooden basket. They looked really cute!
__________________
PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Great Christmas dessert, as it serves also as the centerpiece first. Traditionally mushrooms are made with merengue, tho, not marzipan.

I use the recipe in Julia Child's "The Way to Cook." Always get RAVES!
oh I have that book ! I will have to look it up and use that recipe.
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Arwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Milan
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
I have made a buche de noel with meringue mushrooms and the extra ones I served as cookies (they were lightly dusted with cocoa) alongside in a wooden basket. They looked really cute!
Do you prepare meringue mushroooms also or do you buy them directly in a shop?I don't think it's easy to prepare home made merengue mushrooms...
__________________
Arwen
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Arwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Milan
Posts: 196
Meringue Mushrooms Recipe & Photo - Joyofbaking.com
here the recipe for mushrooms..
__________________
Arwen
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
Do you prepare meringue mushroooms also or do you buy them directly in a shop?I don't think it's easy to prepare home made merengue mushrooms...
Actually, Arwen, making the merengue mushrooms is very easy. In the Holiday Treasures class I used to teach every single December, sometimes even twelve-year-olds would make them! If you have a good mixer to whip up your egg whites easily, then you can even use a sandwich baggie to pipe them out.

The only thing to watch out for is too much humidity in the air. That makes them sticky.
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Arwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Milan
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Actually, Arwen, making the merengue mushrooms is very easy. In the Holiday Treasures class I used to teach every single December, sometimes even twelve-year-olds would make them! If you have a good mixer to whip up your egg whites easily, then you can even use a sandwich baggie to pipe them out.

The only thing to watch out for is too much humidity in the air. That makes them sticky.
Oh I see... the problem that it's raining and raning so the air is really wet!!!
__________________
Arwen
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: N.E., Ohio
Posts: 1,644
ChefJune, where did you use to teach? I have taken classes locally at the Western Reserve School of Cooking and with caterers at local schools. It is one of my favorite ways to relax.
__________________
PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #10
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
PieSusan, I taught every Tuesday evening (and some Fridays as well as Saturday days) from 1985 to 1995 at the Boston Center for Adult Education.

I taught in a whole lot of other places around the US, as well, but that was my longest, most continuous place.
__________________

__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.