Good Morning Ladies & Gents,
ZALETTINI are tiny yellow ones in English and they are created with both corn flour and wheat flour. Their texture, is a shortbread like cookie with a crunchy texture and a lovely yellow corn bread color. They are a specialty in the Veneto Province and Venecia, which is the region known for its Polenta. These are sliced into diamond wedges.
zalettini al diamontes di veneto ...
Here is my Grandmom Margherite´s Recipe for Zalettini Diamonds of Veneto ...
2 cups unbleached flour all purpose
1 1/2 cups corn meal flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 sticks of sweet butter room temperature
4 large egg Yolks
2 tblsps water
1 1/2 tsp. Lemon Zest
1. preheat oven to 325 degrees farenheit
2. butter and lightly flour 2 heavy large baking sheets
3. sift flour, cornmeal and salt in large bowl
4. beat butter and sugar in another large bowl until creamy
5. beat in 3 yolks, one at a time, until well combined
6. mix in dry ingredients in 3 additions, mix in water and zest and mix until smooth dough forms
7. turn out dough on generously floured surface and knead until smooth at 8 turns of the dough
8. roll out dough to 6 inch x 8 inch rectangle about 1 inch thick
9. slice the rectangle into 1 Inch diamond shapes and place the cookies to prepared baking sheets and space them 2 inches apart
10. beat remaining Yolk in a bowl and brush the cookies with the yolk
11. bake until light golden, 27 to 30 minutes
12. transfer to racks to cool
Serve with an espresso or cappucchino ...
*** Note: these are not very sugary sweet ... they have a similarity with a slice of corn bread combined sponge ...
Written by: Margaux Cintrano and Copyrighted 2000.