"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 08-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Unhappy 2nd attempt at cookies a failure!!

Hello,

I tried making cookies from scratch again, and they turned out very thin and flimsy. I'm really disappointed with myself considering how much time I put into this.

Here's my recipe/process:

1) In one bowl, I added 2 cups unbleached flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda and mixed it together.

2) In a separate bowl, I put 3/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar. Then I took 2 sticks of real butter, softened them slightly in the microwave, and added them to the bowl with sugar. I started mixing. Then I added 2 eggs and mixed thoroughly.

3) Next, I added in the flour bowl from step 1 and mixed until a nice cookie dough formed and I saw no dry flour. I added in Nestle chocolate chunks and walnut pieces. Then I put this bowl in the fridge for over an hour to let it chill (thus making it easier to form cookie dough balls).

4) I preheated the oven to 375 degrees. I took a couple of round pizza pans and put foil on them, and dropped cookie dough balls onto them. I baked for 10 minutes at 375. The foil was ungreased for the first couple pans, but for the remaining dough, I greased the foil.

5) I removed the foil with cookies from the pan, so that the hot pan didn't inadvertently overbake the cookies, and let the cookies cool. While the taste was decent, the cookies were so thin and flimsy that I could barely scrape them off the foil without breaking them.

What am I doing wrong?!?!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Several things could be contributing to your problem of thin cookies.

First, when creming the sugars and butter together, they should be thoroughly mixed together, then the eggs incorporated one at a time.

Second, since butter melts at a low temperature, the cookies spread out and get thin before the dough has a chance to setin the oven, creating thin cookies.

Chill the dough thorughly. Place the chilled dough onto a chilled cookie sheet and bake. Keep the unused dough in the fridge until it;s time for the next batch. Chill the cookie sheets between batches. You will end up with thicker chewy cookies.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Against what everyone else has said I bake most cookies at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.Another thing you might want to check is the actual temperature of your oven ,ovens can be 25 to 50 degrees off either up or down so I would get an oven thermometer and check the actual oven temperature.Last but not least are you using enough dough for each cookie?
Another thing is you want to bake cookies on the middle rack of oven not the top or bottom rack
Old 08-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
Senior Cook

In addition to above advice, I use stick margarine as a substitute for at least half the butter. My recipe calls for 2 and 1/4 c. flour but is otherwise the same as yours. If you can soften at room temp instead of microwave. Don't overbake. At 375, I usually start checking them after 8 or 9 minutes, and subsequent batches may take less time. Only let the cookies cool for about a minute before removing to a cooling rack. Keep trying, nothing beats homemade cookies!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:01 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Several things could be contributing to your problem of thin cookies.

First, when creming the sugars and butter together, they should be thoroughly mixed together, then the eggs incorporated one at a time.

Second, since butter melts at a low temperature, the cookies spread out and get thin before the dough has a chance to setin the oven, creating thin cookies.

Chill the dough thorughly. Place the chilled dough onto a chilled cookie sheet and bake. Keep the unused dough in the fridge until it;s time for the next batch. Chill the cookie sheets between batches. You will end up with thicker chewy cookies.

Andy..

My DW suffers from the "flat cookie syndrome" sometimes. It has always perplexed her as to why sometimes this happens. I showed her your post and she Ahhhh Haaaaa!! Thanks man! Maybe now I want have to listen to her grumble!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Glad to help!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Everymom

Ditto what Andy said. If you want your cookies to be "poofier" but still retain that buttery flavour you have a couple of options. One is to use a bit of shortening in place of some of the butter, or some butter flavoured shortening, or finally, use colder butter. The melting thing is the biggest factor in the thin cookies. Good luck and I hope attempt #3 works the way you want it to. (By the way, if you need a home for those cookies, I know someone who would LOVE to help you get rid of them!!!)

Edit: Also, do you have parchment paper or waxed paper to use instead of the foil? That might help too.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Are using baking soda and not baking powder.Could the baking soda be too old.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Flat Cookies

I, too, have flat cookies...first time ever!!! Think the recipe called for too little flour. Will correct that now. Thanks for all the great information.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Too much butter will do this. Chilling the cookie dough will work and get you a thicker cookie.

Tags
None