A REALLY intense peanut butter cookie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisa110

Senior Cook
This is so weird!! I was about to post a thread asking if anyone had a recipe for a REALLY intense peanut butter flavored cookie..chewie on the inside, crisp on the outside, and the first post I see is a peanut butter cookie recipe..LOL Well, I'm posting my own thread because I'm looking for an extremely intense peanut butter flavored cookie. My BF loooves peanut butter, and every recipe I've tried, doesn't seem to have enough peanut butter flavor for him. Sometimes I'll add mini or chopped up Reese's PB cups to intensify the flavor, but it's the cookie itself that I want to be super peanut buttery. I've also tried the no bake ones, but that's just like eating the inside of a peanut butter cup! Any tried and true super duper peanut butter flavored cookie recipes out there? If so, it would be so appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

http://www.geocities.com/lis171/index.html

The best I've found is the peanut butter cookie recipe in the Baking Illustrated cook book (from the Cook's Illustrated folks). It's wonderful!

Jkath posted a peanut butter cookie recipe awhile back... SIMPLE and GOOD. Paul thought it had a very peanutty taste. 1 cup peanut butter 1 cup sugar 1 egg. mix, shape into balls, and bake for ( I hope I remember right) 10 minutes at 350.

PA Baker, is this the recipe you're speaking of? I'm a member of the Cook's Illustrated website, and this it what came up under peanut butter cookies. I know Baker's Illustrated probably has different recipes, but is this one close?

Bringing the butter, peanut butter, and eggs to room temperature makes it easier to blend the ingredients. Be sure to grind the peanuts, since whole, and even chopped peanuts tend to slip out of the dough. If using unsalted butter, increase salt to 1 teaspoon. Keep finished cookies refrigerated in airtight container. To restore just-baked chewiness, wrap a cookie in a sheet of paper towel and microwave for approximately 25 seconds. Cool before serving.

Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies 2 1/2cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2teaspoon baking soda 1/2teaspoon [URL="http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tasting.asp?tastingid=170"]baking powder 1/2teaspoon table salt 1/2pound butter (2 sticks), salted 1cup packed dark brown sugar 1cup granulated sugar 1cup extra-crunchy peanut butter , preferably Jif 2large eggs 2teaspoons vanilla extract 1cup roasted salted peanuts , ground in food processor to resemble bread crumbs, about 14 pulses (about 1 cup, packed)
MA98_PBCookies.jpg

After testing scores of recipes, we finally got real peanut flavor and a non-sandy texture.

Cookies, Bars, & Brownies
See Illustrations Below: Shaping the Peanut Butter Cookies
1. Adjust oven rack to low center position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.
2. In bowl of electric mixer or by hand, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes with electric mixer, stopping to scrape down bowl as necessary. Beat in peanut butter until fully incorporated, then eggs, one at a time, then vanilla. Gently stir dry ingredients into peanut butter mixture. Add ground peanuts; stir gently until just incorporated.
3. Working with 2 tablespoons dough at a time (see illustration 1 below), roll into large balls, placing them 2 inches apart on a parchment-covered cookie sheet. Following illustration 2, press each dough ball with back of dinner fork dipped in cold water to make crisscross design. Bake until cookies are puffed and slightly brown along edges, but not top, 10 to 12 minutes (they will not look fully baked). Cool cookies on cookie sheet until set, about 4 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Cookies will keep, refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 7 days.

[/URL]

Great! Thank you, PA Baker, and thank you for the recipe, pdswife..I'll definitely try it :)

Grandma Snarr's Peanut Butter Cookies

This is the recipe my family has used for a jillion years, and it's wonderful.

Grandma Snarr's Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup shortening (I use butter flavor Crisco)
1 cup peanut butter
1-1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
2-1/2 cups flour

Cream together sugar, shortening and peanut butter. Add other ingredients and mix well. Drop pieces the size of a walnut onto a lightly greased (sprayed) cookie sheet and flatten criss-cross with a fork dipped in flour. Press a pecan half on top if you wish. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven until light golden. Do not over-cook!

Yield: 4 dozen

Thank you so much, Constance..another great recipe to try! I like the idea of 2 eggs instead of the usual one in a PB cookie recipe, as I think only one egg may be what makes it a more crumbly PB cookie. Don't get me wrong, crumbly is good, but I'm looking for something more chewy and moist. All in all, I'm excited to try all 3 of the above recipes. I'll post back with the results :)

Constance, that's funny that you mention them tasting better after storing them in an airtight tin for a few days. That seems to be the case with PB cookies, as opposed to other cookies. I guess PB intensifies as it sits. Then again, the same could probably said about other cookies with strong flavors, such as liquors, seeds (anise or sesame cookies) etc.. I never found plain 'ole choco chip cookies to get better with age.

I can never keep chocolate chip cookies around long enough to know what they taste like after a few days.

My mom and I both add (shelled) peanuts to ours (plus the usual peanut butter). Chop them finely and just stir into the batter. I love to adorn the top with a large chocolate chip too - it could just be me, but this seems to accentuate the peanuty flavour.

Yep..chocolate and PB go together so well, and chocolate does enhance the flavor of PB..hence why the Reese's PB cup 'ain't' no joke..:) I made chocolate cupcakes last week, and I filled them with a whipped chocolate-peanut butter ganache, dipped the tops in an unwhipped chocolate ganache (nice and shiny), and topped them off with chopped peanuts. Let's just say the plate was full one minute...LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom