"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 11-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Head Chef

Alice Fazekas' Pizzelles

Alice Fazekas' Pizzelles
Source: my Hungarian neighbor, Mrs. Alice Fazekas, may she rest in peace, gave this Italian cookie recipe to me. She recently passed and I wanted to share her recipe to help keep her memory alive.

Comments: Pizzelles are addictive and a single recipe yields lots of cookies. Although they are easy to make, one does need a special pizzelle iron. These cookies are great drizzled with semisweet chocolate or white chocolate. Also one can mold them into a cone shape or cigarette and fill with sweetened whipped cream. Alice likes to make vanilla, almond and anise-flavored but you can use lemon or orange extracts as well.
I also have the Lanese family recipe that is very similar. The difference is that it has 2 cups of melted sweet butter in the batter instead of the 3/4 cup oil. I find that the butter burns more easily than the oil. So you have to watch them carefully as they bake super quickly.

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
6 eggs (or 5 eggs if they are Jumbos)
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil (canola or vegetable)
pinch of salt
grated orange peel, optional
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons other flavoring (almond and/or anise extract in a two to one ratio with the vanilla extract)

Directions:
Beat the eggs and the sugar. Add the oil, salt, grated orange peel and vanilla. If desired, divide the batter and add the flavorings that you prefer. Then, follow your pizelle irons’ directions to make the cookies. Store them in a tight tin because they tend to get soft when they are left out.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Head Chef

Ya wanna know something? YOU need to publish a cookbook for us (unless you already have done it). You have some really great recipes that you're sharing here, and I for one, appreciate them. Cut-paste-save....cut-paste-save....cut-paste-save... and the beat goes on!

Old 11-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Question, with the butter recipe, are the amounts for flour

and egg the same as with the oil recipe? And if I wanted to make vanilla flavor how much extra vanilla extract should I add? Thanks
Old 11-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Head Chef

Thanks, Joe for the lovely compliment. Lizannd, I would use 3T of single strength vanilla or 1-1/2 T of double strength.

Tags
None