"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by stassie View Post
That's it, I'm never moving to America. Or... if I do... I'll bring a crate or so with me

So what do you use for brandy snaps? Or for a nice, sticky ginger cake? I can't imagine either of my recipes without golden syrup.
Heh - I had to look up brandy snaps - never heard of them And apparently we make ginger cake with mild molasses: Fresh Ginger Cake Recipe at Epicurious.com I really don't bake much, so maybe someone else will come along and comment.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:29 AM   #12
Executive Chef
My understanding is that treacle and golden syrup is basically the same stuff only one is more processed than the other. I guess molasses fit somewhere in there too.

Got to make brandy snaps if you ever get the opportunity. They are so yummy filled with strawberries and cream.... <sigh> Possibly my favourite dessert. But I really love them when they haven't turned out correctly and are all warm and floppy!!

Actually, thinking about it, most of my favourite sweets, biscuits and cakes contain Golden Syrup!! ... and yet, I make none of them... go figure!

Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:11 AM   #13
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You're not going to like this I don't think treacle is widely available here, either. I don't remember ever seeing it, although I don't bake much, so I wouldn't be looking for it. Might have to use molasses.
Molasses might be a bit strong I think, perhaps 50/50 molasses and honey could be worth a try.
attie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:22 AM   #14
Sous Chef
Here is a link where you will find some Australian home style recipes

Backyard Saturday 15 March 2008

There would be several different ways of making Anzac biscuits in here
attie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by stassie View Post
Ok, so here's a link to what it looks like:

Chelsea Sugar - New Zealand, Refining Sugar NZ, Cooking with Sugar, New Zealand Sugar Company, Baking recipes with Sugar, Dessert recipes nz, Sugar products NZ, Sugar and Diabetes NZ, Sugar and Exercise Nz, Sugar production, Sugar New Zealand (Goodness - edited to wonder what happened to my link!? It wasn't that long when I typed it!)

It appears it's not easiy available in America, and there's not a common substitute. You're really missing out! I guess you could use treacle?
(On the other hand, while corn syrup is available here, it's not common)
Thanks for the info. That web listing gives an excellent description of golden syrup, it made my mouth water.

I am going to look at the brandy snaps link now, because I can telll I"m going to LOVE em. Anything with brandy is a hit for me. Plus, bilby's talk about strawberries and cream has me absolutely weak. And sticky ginger cake? That's right up my alley. I'll take sticky, gooey, or custardy over chocolatey any day.. especially with berries!

JillBurgh is offline   Reply With Quote