"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 04-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Anzac Biscuits

On the 25th of this month we Aussies and Kiwis will celebrate Anzac Day to remember our fallen soldiers, especially those from WW1. ANZAC stands for Australian & New Zealand Army Corps and the biscuits name came from when our women folk made these biscuits and sent them off to the troops in WW1. Simple to make and easy to eat so have a go and see what you think.

Traditional biscuits

'Wet ingredients' - 1
125 grams butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup

'Wet ingredients' - 2
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 teaspoon baking soda

Dry ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup coconut
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
Method:

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a saucepan gently melt the butter then add the golden syrup and heat, stirring until thoroughly combined. Put the baking soda in a cup or small bowl then pour in the boiling tablespoon of water.

Pour this foaming mixture into the warm butter/golden syrup mixture and stir to incorporate - it will foam up. Now gradually add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring well to incorporate.

Place walnut size pieces of the dough on a buttered oven tray and then press down with the back of a fork to flatten.

Bake at 175 degrees C for approx 17 mins.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Everymom

Thanks attie! I love Anzac cookies, and have made them for years with a slightly different recipe found here.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I love them too, but haven't made them with coconut. Will have to give them a try. Thanks, Attie!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Funny, I was thinking of making some in the next few days. Won't be including the coconut though. If I do make them, going to go for the soft and chewy style! YUM!!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Cook

Great recipe. Actually anything with coconut is a great recipe in my book!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Thanks for the international recipe. Can you explain what golden syrup is? Is that Honey?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
Can you explain what golden syrup is? Is that Honey?
Wow! It's so common you must just know it by another name. It's not honey - it's... well... golden syrup. Like treacle, but not so strong or sticky. I'll google it for you and see what the equivilent is.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Ok, so here's a link to what it looks like:

Chelsea Sugar - New Zealand, Refining Sugar NZ, Cooking with Sugar, New Zealand Sugar Company, Baking recipes with Sugar, Dessert recipes nz, Sugar products NZ, Sugar and Diabetes NZ, Sugar and Exercise Nz, Sugar production, Sugar New Zealand (Goodness - edited to wonder what happened to my link!? It wasn't that long when I typed it!)

It appears it's not easiy available in America, and there's not a common substitute. You're really missing out! I guess you could use treacle?
(On the other hand, while corn syrup is available here, it's not common)
Old 04-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stassie View Post
Ok, so here's a link to what it looks like:

Chelsea Sugar - New Zealand, Refining Sugar NZ, Cooking with Sugar, New Zealand Sugar Company, Baking recipes with Sugar, Dessert recipes nz, Sugar products NZ, Sugar and Diabetes NZ, Sugar and Exercise Nz, Sugar production, Sugar New Zealand (Goodness - edited to wonder what happened to my link!? It wasn't that long when I typed it!)

It appears it's not easiy available in America, and there's not a common substitute. You're really missing out! I guess you could use treacle?
(On the other hand, while corn syrup is available here, it's not common)
You're not going to like this I don't think treacle is widely available here, either. I don't remember ever seeing it, although I don't bake much, so I wouldn't be looking for it. Might have to use molasses.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You're not going to like this I don't think treacle is widely available here, either.
That's it, I'm never moving to America. Or... if I do... I'll bring a crate or so with me

So what do you use for brandy snaps? Or for a nice, sticky ginger cake? I can't imagine either of my recipes without golden syrup.

Tags
None