Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
1/2 cup margarine
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 beaten eggs
3 cups grated (or finely food processed) apples
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon (I actually did more like 1 tbsp)
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs. Stir in apples. Sift dry stuff together and stir into wet stuff. Add oatmeal and stir til well blended. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.

They go great with either coffee or tea. You can substitute zucchini for the apples too.

My Breakfast Cookies:

1 cup dried cranberries or cherries
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup super crunchy peanut butter
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
pinch ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups rolled oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces or chunks

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a small bowl, combine cranberries or cherries and boiling water; set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine peanut butter and butter; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar , egg, cinnamon, vanilla, and baking soda. Beat until combined. Add flour; beat until smooth. Stir oats.
3. Drain the cranberries or cherries; stir raisins and chocolate pieces into oat mixture.
4. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks; let cool. Makes about 40 cookies.

I love anything with apples and cinnamon Alix. Thanks for posting.

P.S. How many would this recipe make? Would they turn out okay if I half the recipe as I will be the only one eating them.

Okay, they're baking in the oven right now and it smells soooooooooooooo good in here. I only prepared half of the recipe since no one else will eat them at my house (maybe DH will taste them). I used 1/3 less sugar and a touch of white whole wheat flour for extra fiber. The taste of the dough is wonderful so I'm sure they will taste even better when they're baked. Thanks Alix.

Hope you liked them Dina, they're nearly gone around here. I didn't check on how many they made...sorry!

Alix, I loved the cookies! Thanks! I managed to make 14 large ones. They are so delicious and look forward to having more in the morning with my coffee. They remind me of some I used to make to take to work for the teachers. I'd add more dried fruit and walnuts.

Hi Alix and Patt~
Thank you for your cookie recipes. They both sound wonderful. I have apples and zucchini in my garden and these recipes will give me more uses for them. I have three questions: Have either of you frozen the baked cookies? Do they taste okay after they have been frozen? Alix - may I substitute butter for the margarine in your recipe? Thanks, again, to both of you for sharing your recipes.

Hi Alix and Patt~
Thank you for your cookie recipes. They both sound wonderful. I have apples and zucchini in my garden and these recipes will give me more uses for them. I have three questions: Have either of you frozen the baked cookies? Do they taste okay after they have been frozen? Alix - may I substitute butter for the margarine in your recipe? Thanks, again, to both of you for sharing your recipes.

Your welcome. I have never frozen them, but I don't see why not.

These sound like just what I've been looking for....
inexpensive, homemade, filling snacks to send to school for my son....
They don't eat lunch til 1:30..... he eats breakfast at 6:30 am, so they have snack time and I need to get creative!

These sound like just what I've been looking for....
inexpensive, homemade, filling snacks to send to school for my son....
They don't eat lunch til 1:30..... he eats breakfast at 6:30 am, so they have snack time and I need to get creative!
Try adding some walnuts (if not allergic) for extra protein. They sure are a treat. Too bad my kids only like chocolate chip cookies. Once in a while I'll ground up some oats and/or add white whole wheat flour to their cookie dough. They can never tell the difference that they're having something good for them.

Auntieshelly, long time no see! And nope, this was my first crack at making the cookies, I was sort of experimenting. I think they would freeze beautifully though.

Dina, glad they worked out for you. I think craisins would be expecially yummy in these. No nuts for us as there are too many allergies in the family darn it, but I think that would be awesome too.

Since these cookies are so dense, I think I would be careful about adding stuff like flax without lowering the amount of oatmeal. The oatmeal was my "fiber content" so I think straight subbing of 1/2 cup oats for flax would work well.

I kind of over did the nutmeg last time. Definitely not more than a tsp needed. And I sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top to pretty them up and it really perked them up.

Yum - both of these look wonderful! Now that school is back in session, I am back in the car alot during the day. I like having something healthy to munch on between schools.
Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom