Banana coconut oatmeal cookies - too soft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anneke

Assistant Cook
Hi

I've conjured up my own recipe for low fat banana coconut oatmeal cookies. They taste GREAT just out of the oven but instead of turning into the yummy soft cookie after a day or so they go too soft and lose every bit of crunchiness. This is what i use:

3 bananas mushed
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp coconut essence
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1.5 cups wholewheat flour
1.5 cups oats
1 cup coconut
1 tsp baking powder
i then add coconut cream if the dough is too dry so i get a sticky dough

i have to cook them for a while on low temp, otherwise they dont get crunchy at all. i cooked them at 150 degrees C for almost 30 mins.

as i said, the crunchy outsides and soft middles are delicious but they dont keep, they just go really soft.

i realise this isnt a traditional cookie recipe because i'm trying to keep them low fat/low sugar for my diet

what is it that makes cookies crunchy? lots of butter?

:flowers:Welcome to DG.

It could be the whole wheat flour. You might try 1/2 Whole Wheat and 1/2 AP flour.Or maybe it needs another egg. The recipe sounds great.

Josie

Last edited:
Maybe just too much banana. You could try a little less real banana and add some banana extract?

You know, I've always wondered why banana was often a flavor neglected in many of my favorite dessert esque- treats... like ice cream or maybe some banana filling instead of a rasberry one in a piece of chocolate... i adore banana :) Please do me a favor and tell me if you've found the "soft" problem, and adjust the recipe and give it to me so I can make some nice ones for myself! :):ROFLMAO:

hehe i'll do my best.

im sure banana flavouring would be a better substitute for so much banana but im allergic

i'll try it with half normal and half WW flour and less banana, maybe just put the banana on top

edit: oh and its really just a splash of the cream.. might try it with no cream as well

Anneke, I've been thinking about this cookie, as it sounds like it would be really tasty. Maybe if the bananas were not "mushy?" Instead, cut them into small dice -- use bananas that are not quite so ripe, maybe they would not mush out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom