Betty Greene's Applesauce Drop Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
This is my mom's recipe for applesauce drop cookies. I have not had them in years.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar, packed down
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup thick applesauce
1 cup seedless raisins (she wrote she used 1/2 cup)

Directions:
Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg. Add the flour alternately with the applesauce. Beat in the salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir in the raisins.
Drop on cookie sheet and bake in 375 degree preheated oven about 10 minutes depending upon how big you make them. They spread a little.

It sounds delicious!!many thanks ;-))
will you use it for tarts or for baked cakes?I think it might be suitable also for pannacotta or mascarpone desserts..

I mean that the applesauce might be used also for the above mentioned dessert cakes..what's your opinion, Susan?:)

Arwen, thanks for being my friend. ;-)
When I use applesauce in baking, I buy the one that is all natural--Motts is one brand but there are others.

It's my pleasure...dear Susan!oh, I see... I have nevere seen applesauce in a shop, maybe we haven't it here in Italy...:-(((

Arwen, if you go to a natural food store in Italy, you should be able to find all natural applesauce. In the states, a good brand is Mott's. I cannot imagine that it is not available in Italy.

This is my mom's recipe for applesauce drop cookies. I have not had them in years.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar, packed down
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup thick applesauce
1 cup seedless raisins (she wrote she used 1/2 cup)

Directions:
Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg. Add the flour alternately with the applesauce. Beat in the salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir in the raisins.
Drop on cookie sheet and bake in 375 degree preheated oven about 10 minutes depending upon how big you make them. They spread a little.

I know those are yummy cookies, Susan, because that's the exact recipe my mom got from one of her hairdressing customers before I was born. She often made those cookies, and so have I.

You're not by any chance related to someone named "Mrs. Bruce" are you? :huh:

Arwen, if you go to a natural food store in Italy, you should be able to find all natural applesauce. In the states, a good brand is Mott's. I cannot imagine that it is not available in Italy.

www.alpenzu.com.I tried to find it on the net asin food stores I never saw it...:huh:
Thanks a lot Susan ;)

I know those are yummy cookies, Susan, because that's the exact recipe my mom got from one of her hairdressing customers before I was born. She often made those cookies, and so have I.

You're not by any chance related to someone named "Mrs. Bruce" are you? :huh:

Sorry. I do not know a Mrs. Bruce.

you wouldn't have known her, but maybe your mother or grandmother might have... she was an old lady when I was a little girl.

I am puzzled ChefJune. Is Mrs. Bruce a cookbook author? I live in N.E., Ohio not New York. Is she famous for another reason?

Back
Top Bottom