"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Biscotti Tips

I've learned how to make biscotti via the internet (no nonna available), and picked up a few useful tips that I'm passing along.

From Chef John I learned to refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to firm it up, then wrap it in plastic wrap for shaping. No need to handle sticky dough.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2017...is-coming.html

Unlike Chef John, I use a stand mixer and parchment paper (for both first and second bakes).

From King Arthur I learned to spray the baked log with water before slicing to prevent crumbling. Slice the log vertically, then stand the slices on end (with some air gap between the slices) before the second bake. This eliminates the need to flip them half way through (and possibly break some).

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...iscotti-recipe

I've found that whole almonds are a weak spot in the biscotti and they may break there when slicing, so I chop them just enough so there are no whole almonds (or whole dried cherries). A slightly longer cooling time (30 minutes) seems to work a little better. I use a sharp chefs knife for slicing, as the serrated bread knife tends to crumble the biscotti.

When I made the cherry pistachio biscotti I used Chef John's recipe and substituted dried cherries and pistachios for the almonds and almond extract, and they turned out really good.

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Thanks for posting the tips. I've never tried making biscotti and it's on the 'to do' list. :)

Old 12-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #3
Cook

This part of your tips confuses me, " Slice the log vertically, then stand the slices on end (with some air gap between the slices) before the second bake."

This is how I layout my biscotti for a second bake

But that doesn't seem to be what you're saying, could you clarify.
Bama-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:17 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That's exactly what I thought tenspeed meant.

Is there a trick to making nice biscotti? I have never made them, because all the biscotti I have tried in North America were hard and dry and not very nice.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:34 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's exactly what I thought tenspeed meant.

Is there a trick to making nice biscotti? I have never made them, because all the biscotti I have tried in North America were hard and dry and not very nice.
Biscotti is supposed to be dry and hard They're twice-baked to dry them out and make they last longer. They were originally dunked in dessert wine, but these days, people dunk them in tea or coffee.

If you want them softer, you can bake them for less time, but they'll crumble more easily.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:49 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Biscotti is supposed to be dry and hard They're twice-baked to dry them out and make they last longer. They were originally dunked in dessert wine, but these days, people dunk them in tea or coffee.

If you want them softer, you can bake them for less time, but they'll crumble more easily.
I hate the North American ones. When I was visiting Copenhagen, I went to a cafe and ordered a café au lait. It came with biscotti. I rolled my eyes. Then, I decided to give it a try. It was delightful. Yes, it was hard and a bit dry, but it wasn't rock hard. It softened quickly when dunked in the coffee. I was thinking, "OMG, so this is what it is supposed to be like."
Old 12-09-2019, 01:04 AM   #7
Head Chef

The ones that are much harder seem to have less butter in them - the rock hard ones very little. At least that's my experience.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:22 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
The ones that are much harder seem to have less butter in them - the rock hard ones very little. At least that's my experience.
That makes sense.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post

A lot of European or Italian Biscotti Recipes I have seen have no butter in them at all. I have a Biscotti di Prato recipe with Saffron (no butter) that I love but my family does not - they prefer some of my other recipes because the di Prato were as hard as a rock (but really yummy)!!

Thanks tenspped for the tip about spraying the log with water. I will have to try that.

eparys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, tips