"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
Head Chef

Biscotti Tips

I've learned how to make biscotti via the internet (no nonna available), and picked up a few useful tips that I'm passing along.

From Chef John I learned to refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to firm it up, then wrap it in plastic wrap for shaping. No need to handle sticky dough.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2017...is-coming.html

Unlike Chef John, I use a stand mixer and parchment paper (for both first and second bakes).

From King Arthur I learned to spray the baked log with water before slicing to prevent crumbling. Slice the log vertically, then stand the slices on end (with some air gap between the slices) before the second bake. This eliminates the need to flip them half way through (and possibly break some).

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...iscotti-recipe

I've found that whole almonds are a weak spot in the biscotti and they may break there when slicing, so I chop them just enough so there are no whole almonds (or whole dried cherries). A slightly longer cooling time (30 minutes) seems to work a little better. I use a sharp chefs knife for slicing, as the serrated bread knife tends to crumble the biscotti.

When I made the cherry pistachio biscotti I used Chef John's recipe and substituted dried cherries and pistachios for the almonds and almond extract, and they turned out really good.

tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Thanks for posting the tips. I've never tried making biscotti and it's on the 'to do' list. :)

Tags
other, tips